How to make a switchblade key, faq

i don't know if anyone has seen this already but i saw this on a site...(this is not done by me but wil be tryed meself soon)

Assuming that you already have a switchblade key, lets get started.

1. Have your master key duplicated, preferably with an all metal key. I chose to use my stock master key.

1.jpg

2. If you choose to use your master key then you will just have to cut all of the rubber off. I cut the rubber off using a razor blade.

2.jpg

Next, lets begin disassembling the switchblade key.

3. Open the switchblade key to the halfway position, look closely at the pivot point

and you should see a small hole with a pin inside of it. Your goal is to get that pin out.

Once the pin is out the MkIV key should slide out.

3.jpg

4. Here is a picture of the key next to the extracted pin.

4.jpg

5. Next we will want to begin cutting the master key in order to fit it into the switchblade.

Hopefully you have access to a Dremel® tool and bench grinder. These are not necessary but will

greatly aid in the shaping of your key. Begin by cutting your master key away from the handle

as shown below.

5.jpg

6. Once the stem of the key is separated from the handle you will want to begin shaping it to the profile of the

MkIV key. Take your time and remove small amounts of material. You can always take away metal but you can

never put it back.

6.jpg

7. Once your done grinding away enough material brush the key against the wire wheel to clean up any burrs.

This will help when test fitting into the switchblade. Your product should look something like this:

7.jpg

Installing your key into the switchblade.

1. Insert your key for a final test fit, insure that there is no play and it fits perfect.

2. Select a drill bit that is small enough to slide through the hole where the roll pin

belongs. Be sure that it fits snug.

3. Now you are ready to create the channel for the roll pin installation. Hold the switchblade

in the half open position with the key inserted. Have a friend carefully drill through the hole

while the key is inserted. This will created a perfect channel for the roll pin to sit.

8.jpg

This is what the channel should look like when done drilling.

9.jpg

4. Clean out any shavings created by the drilling and re-insert the key. Install the roll pin back into the

switchblade. Your installation should be complete!

10.jpg

B)B)

Thats basically it..

I done mine last year...

WARNING: If you have an engine immob, the mk4 fob CANNOT be reprogrammed to suit your engine immob!!

There is a 'TRICK' to it, but I'm not going to say on a live forum(safety reason), if you want to know please PM me...

I visited my local VW dealer yesterday and was told that you can buy a switchblade key with the blank MK111 type key fitted. It just needs to be cut from your master.[/quot

the dealer my are sad that it wasn't possible to sell me 1 for the mk3 or a blank :(

how much are the dealers at your end asking for one

• 5 months later...