Bmc CDA Versus K&N flat panel filter in original air box

Hey Dudes.

I need some expert advice. I have a VR6 1997 and I always believed a view holes in the air box and a K&N filter is the bomb. But everybody raves about the BMC CDA. Is it any better or does it just look good? I think they sound the same (Fanstastic sound).

Thanks

JP

why don't anyone that has a sound clip post it up on you tube ?

BMC is good for power bhp, not to loud ,small enough to fit and looks the part

pipercross meant to be the best for sound,massive so not easy to hide in the engine suffers from hot air heat from engine(viper is the one with buit in sheild from engine heat

K&N been going for years i think same as green filter cone shape

will do same job

I would like to see some power graphs or listen to noise clips

i have just bought BMC CDA but havent fitted it yet

i bought mine because i got a good price !

its all down to choice its your money pick one but BMC CDA

seems to have it all without the chave cosa !

Fit yours patpong... you'll love the sound when you open it up. It is far more efficient than drilling holes and fitting a panel filter. It has much more surface area and drilling holes will just allow heatsoak to take place.. not a good thing. The bmc has its own heat shielding and if pointed directly to the gap between the headlight and nearside panel will get plent of cold air. To get even more cold air you can fit the cold air feed but this involves moving the carbon cannistor which can be a bit of a hassle as its very tight to get to all the nuts and bolts etc. I have had my bmc for a year now without fitting the cold air feed as both The Phirm and Stealth say it makes very little difference - stealth have said it makes no difference at all fitting the cold air feed as they have done a lot of rolling road tests with and without the feed.

It sounds subtle at low revs but if you want to rev your car it will complement a good exhaust system and the v6 howl perfectly, it now sounds more of an aston martin than a chav saxo etc. Bear in mind if you fit the cold air feed it will be much quieter. Its not loud like some induction kits but it has a lovely unique sound when you floor it.

BMC hands down, when u boot it people turn round to see whats coming, makes a really angry roar! I didnt listen to my stereo for about a month after buying mine! FIND A TUNNEL, PUT IT IN 3RD, FLOOR IT!!!! u wont be disappointed

No probs with maf, just make sure it aint rattling around too much, I used a cable tie to steady it, sorted

Got mine off ebay for £185, they only come in two sizes as they are universal, you will also need an 82 or 85mm coupling hose to fit it, i used an sf racing one in blue from demon tweeks £10

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMC-CDA-Induction-Air-Filter-Kit-Audi-TT-Turbo-3-2_W0QQitemZ130089807881QQcategoryZ36680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ask him as i think that is the correct one (for a vr6) he has loads for sale

PS dont use the cold air feed pipe, its fine not to and gives loads better sound!

HAVE FUN!!

BMC CDA nice bit of kit sound normal on tick over

but floor it and boom sounds like mini aston DB7 or like Subaru

easy to fit get the blue hose like Xyber says and i did same

did'nt fit cold air feed pipe

RAM AIR piper cross is meant to be very loud would like to hear but i'm very happy

with my bmc 2.500-3000rpm starts to burble and 4500-5000 sounds like a spitfire VR6 Dambusters

xyber.. £185...seems a tad expensive...especially from Ebay which is supposed to be cheaper. I got mine for £160.

I agree with you about the tunnel! Even in fourth gear floor it and it sounds amazing. You can easily hear it with the windows closed and radio blaring. But can be equally subtle and just a small hint that you have something under the bonnet when driving around at low revs. You can cruise at 70 easily - if you don't floor it it is hardly noticable. But floor it and you know it's there and really goes well with the v6 sound.. without drowing it out like some filters can.

Hey Dudes.

I need some expert advice. I have a VR6 1997 and I always believed a view holes in the air box and a K&N filter is the bomb. But everybody raves about the BMC CDA. Is it any better or does it just look good? I think they sound the same (Fanstastic sound).

Thanks

JP

I used to have a BMC on my highline and it sounded great... on my current VR I have a drilled airbox and K&N panel filter and tbh it doesnt sound much different but cost about £130 less!! As far as power goes you might make a bit more bhp with the BMC (but not a lot) and I couldnt actually notice a difference so it's all down to whether you want to pay £160 for a slightly better figure on your print out at a rolling road day ;)

OK so heres a slightly different slant....

I seem to recall someone on here who had phoned around and asked all the manufactureres what their filter spec was and how it fitted with the VW specs. (May even be a sticky)

I think K&N were the only ones who answered it. I'm sure No one has had any issues with BMC on here,

All have a motorsports background and should know their onions. I just made me think :-p

I have a K&N (athough the above had nothing to do with it)

Cheers ;)

any one got a photo of the std airbox

with holes drilled in it are they drilled

near side of the air box and how many holes?

is it like a piece of cheese!

BMC CDA for looks and if u have the funds

K&N panel filter std airbox with holes drilled on a budget

both good and better breathing than std system

Guest ribbotson

I have a DMC in my V6 4mo. I find the best noise can be got in 2nd gear. Set off in first, then immediately put it into 2nd (or set off in 2nd). Then just put your foot flat to the floor. You get the massive booming noise almost instantly, and with the V6 noise as well everyone turns and looks.

I live near a few bridges and enclosed roads. Giving it some beans over on enclosed roads (house walls either side) seems to amplify the noise.

Just need my R32 style exhaust and the supercharger.

• 2 weeks later...

BMC CDA nice bit of kit sound normal on tick over

but floor it and boom sounds like mini aston DB7 or like Subaru

easy to fit get the blue hose like Xyber says and i did same

did'nt fit cold air feed pipe

RAM AIR piper cross is meant to be very loud would like to hear but i'm very happy

with my bmc 2.500-3000rpm starts to burble and 4500-5000 sounds like a spitfire VR6 Dambusters

Try and find a tunnel or narrow street with people walking thru it and give them the dambuster noise!! THEY DONT LIKE IT UP'EM MR MANNERING!! (6)

The main difference btween most kits and stuff like the bmc and pipercross viper is that if you look down the inlet of the canisters there are curved fins, which as the engine sucks in air, these fins twist in air (imagine a small tornado) as the air spins, this will create a drop in pressure, which inturn will create a sucking effect inside the actual induction kit canister, so not only is the engine sucking, but the induction kit is aswel, abit like a tiny little turbo (i think?) thats what the bumf says on the side of my bmc box anyway

The price might seem a little high, but once youve heard the noise they make, it'll seem cheap (its addictive) My bmc is still my fav mod ive done so far, even more since a made a bloke sat in traffic in a 911 jump as shot past making spitfire noises, rumbling and popping away

• 1 month later...