ebay powerchip???

• 4 weeks later...

I can't see ebay at work but if this seller is powerchips or summat like that then the chip works. They are only for OBD1 and there are two. One for dizzy, one for coil. There is a noticeable difference, It idles higher and the performance has a definite increase. If you have OBD1 these are a bargain. These are not to be confused with the transistors etc. I think they're a copy of a well know map?

A custom remap is the same price as a superchip but far far better and will get much more power. As above a chip or remap is good for an early VR 1995 or earlier which has an obd1 ecu. The later vr with an obd2 ecu will get absolutely no power gain whatsoever with either a chip or remap because the ecu is so advanced. An off the shelf chip can actually cause more harm than good!! Take your car to Stealth racing for anything to do with the ecu. A remap is only advised when you start to add cams or more - not ncessary on smaller mods than that. The remap is purely to get the fuelling spot on to prevent detonation/pinking and added power is a bonus.

sorry but i disagree about not gaining when OBD2's are chipped . its proven on the rollers , they work on both obd1 and obd2 ,its just , as you said there is more gain when doing obd1 .

as for the cheap ebay chips . same as any chip at the end of the day just you have to fit it yourself . soldering inside the ECU if im not mistaken

just my 2p .

liam :)

• 2 weeks later...

STEP AWAY FROM THE BARGAINS They are a resistor which fools your ecu into think the intake temp is cooler, chucks in more fuel, slowly frys ur engine, theY also sell them called boost valves, which is a variable resister(volume knob on an old stereo) they actually cost 20p from maplins hahahahahaha IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS!! 20BHP GAIN HAHAHAHAHA

STEP AWAY FROM THE BARGAINS They are a resistor which fools your ecu into think the intake temp is cooler' date=' chucks in more fuel, slowly frys ur engine, theY also sell them called boost valves...

[/quote']

Yes, resistors that frig the output of the temperature sensor are a total scam, but this is not what this guy is selling - check out the link - it is for a replacement EPROM for the ECU.

It's probably a copy of a remapped ECU chip. i.e. someone takes a standard VR6 for a professional remap, then sticks the remapped chip into an EPROM copier, makes copies and sells them off for 30 quid a pop. The blank chips themselves cost less than a fiver and, although doing this IS a breach of the tuner's intellectual property rights (and hence illegal), there is no way that the breach of copyright can be proved as far as I know.

In theory, as long as your VR6 is of otherwise standard spec, one of these chips should produce a similar performance improvement as a custom remap, give or take the small difference between engines. If fitted along with a decent air filter, you should see close to 10BHP over stock.

However, unlike a custom remap, you have no come-back if the car turns out to perform worse. Also, I doubt the chips are tested after burning so there is always the possibility of being sent a dud. If you decide to buy one of these, ask the seller about his return/replacement policy for any dead-on-arrival chips before bidding.

As long as you don't f*ck up the installation, it shouldn't do any damage to your engine and at worst you will have only wasted 30 quid. On a cheap, older VR6, it might be worth a punt.

We welcome any feedback from anyone that has fitted one of these chips, especially those who have dyno plots that prove/disprove the seller's claims.

Note that if you have other significant engine mods (cams, schrick manfold etc) then you should definitely NOT run any "off the shelf" chip. If your mods go beyond a 'zorst and a filter, a custom remap is the only way to go.

• 2 years later...

Righty Righty,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but ...

it seems the answer to this question is not actually answered, Purest dont believe that you can get add power at 30p per 1 BHP and optimists cant believe why it wouldnt work.

The science behind this, as stated above gives me no reason to think why it would not work. If its a copy of a proven map then although you are losing the individuality of the map to your car, it is unlikely that another car of similar.identicle specification is going to respond any differently.

The reason for me writing this is because I have just seen some pop up on eBay and (naturally) am a little intreagued.

Furthermore, i am going to (hopefully) be running my car on a Dyno in the very near future and would happily post the results. Although im sure you will get another handful of people claiming that you cant measure Flywheel power from the wheels (which of course you cant) but it would be a pretty good indication as im sure there are many people on here who have ATW power for a standard OB2 Vr6.

Let me know what you guys think.

Jamie