Got told vr6's are slow ...agian

Good debate here but hey lay off the TDI's ;)

The bloke was a bit of an idiot saying a nasty comment about your car specially when you are a paying customer! At the end of the day VR6's are over 10 years old in design and mecahnical technology will always evolve. Any VR6 should out run a TDI of the same age but most modern diesles give most things a run for there money now as the engines are so much more powerful. And if anyone wants a spin in mine feel free lol ask VR6Rich who came for a gentle spin with me round the haynes test track yesterday lol

TDIs are quite quick but are built for MPG 50+plus on the motorway

thats why they are normally used by many company REPS

still a wise choice look normal but with a little chip or remap 30 extra horses

then they are quite nippy through the gears

they have a shit load of torque

a good choice for day to day use and then take the VR6 out at the weekend to blow the cobwebs out and any way

the grunt and noise of the 10 year old vr6 is just the best im loving it

would like to know how fast vdubgirl black TDI is

what modifacations have u made?

can it keep up with a vr6 she must know shes had both

Reliability is the key issue for me. I always wanted something fast, or at least what I consider fast. With the VR, you get that WITH reliability. My mate bought an imported '95 Scooby running 300bhp at the same time as i got my VR, last April and for the same price. In that time i've paid for a service.........he's spent approx £2000 replacing the parts which have fallen to bits, not to mention he's also spent half the time with it off the road. It is now for sale. 'nuff said!

I'm well aware of what the VR6's failings are, below 4000RPM they aren't that quick at all.

But.. My brother recently upgraded from a mk3 VR6 to a mk4 TDI 150 (He wanted the better fuel economy). When we went to pick up the mk4, I drove his VR back and was pushing him up the road virtually all the way home!

0-30 the TDi is quicker, but that's about it. Yes, it does develop 236lb-ft of torque, but it only produces this over a narrow rev band. Point to point, a mk3 VR is definitely quicker.

Thing is 150bhp TDI's (like Claires) can be remapped to 190bhp and 300lbs/ft for roughly £400 I think I had trouble keeping up with her yesterday, though I dont rag the $hit out of my VR to try and keep up. Claires also sounded the part when going around Haynes track. If I had the money id be going down the TDI route.

I was talking about a standard VR vs a standard TDi in my earlier post. When you throw a Revo remap into the mix, a TDi can, as you say, produce over 300lb-ft of torque. That's Audi RS4 territory....

I have heard stories about people snapping driveshafts though!!!

I'm well aware of what the VR6's failings are' date=' below 4000RPM they aren't that quick at all.

But.. My brother recently upgraded from a mk3 VR6 to a mk4 TDI 150 (He wanted the better fuel economy). When we went to pick up the mk4, I drove his VR back and was pushing him up the road virtually all the way home!

0-30 the TDi is quicker, but that's about it. Yes, it does develop 236lb-ft of torque, but it only produces this over a narrow rev band. Point to point, a mk3 VR is definitely quicker.

[/quote']

its ridiculas that you even have to point that out but your spot on

TDIs are quite quick but are built for MPG 50+plus on the motorway

thats why they are normally used by many company REPS

still a wise choice look normal but with a little chip or remap 30 extra horses

then they are quite nippy through the gears

they have a shit load of torque

a good choice for day to day use and then take the VR6 out at the weekend to blow the cobwebs out and any way

the grunt and noise of the 10 year old vr6 is just the best im loving it

would like to know how fast vdubgirl black TDI is

what modifacations have u made?

can it keep up with a vr6 she must know shes had both

Dylons been Revo'd and thats it tuning wise.

He'll easily keep a standard VR6 up to 100 but I think then VR6 will out run him after that. I tend to find it starts to run out of umph after about 120 but easily carries on to 140. (Private roads of course!)

I'm not a lover of the short rev range but round haynes last week it was quite amusing so I'll update this after i've taken it out round combe where there are longer straights so i can build up more speed.

I wouldnt go back to VR6 land after owning my TDI now its just to economical for the power it produces.

One things for sure I still miss petrol engines and I miss the VR6 noise but there are just to many pros for me to keep dylon and not to swap it back to petrol.

Theres a link in my sig for its RR power chart.

• 14 years later...

I was driving down the intestate, and rolled up on a hellcat. We both took off he blew my doors in. I have a 2000 cabriolet 12v swapped. So he thinks it's slow for sure, AND I just keep on hammering I have a hr drive home yet, and it's after 12midnight. I see him braking for major intestate going opposite direction same way I'm headed and I drive this way alot. Tell my woman to buckel up. I drop 5th to 3rd and pedal back to the floor. The ramp is a tight S turn my back wheels are drifting but I slam 4th never seen that turd again.....