Got told vr6's are slow ...agian

Went to a garage yesterday. they guy there agian took the piss out of my car

he said: 'why dont you buy a fast car instead of messing around with these things'

then went onto say 'i smoked a vr6 in that tdi the other day' (dont know if he meant tdi van or what?)

he drives a range rover and used to have a vr6, but still........... :@

Some ppl think cos its a 2.8 it should have a million bhp

and how many of them have experienced what a VR is like past 80mph

Mines pretty much standard under the bonnet and imo its more than match for most new hot hatches

My mate yesterday got his S3 225 back from the Audi garage and tought he would smoke me coming off a round about and onto a duel carriage way he moved outside i put the foot down and i was 2 cars length infront of him with neither one gaining or loosing ground i we raced up to 125 and still no change Now i had a set of roofracks on for my bike the bird in the car and the shopping in the boot and he wast happy. Also i smoked one of the new golf GT 170 with my bird and my bros in the car i never pissed on him but just overtook and brezed past he looked welpissed considering his was a 2006 plate with only him in it. The VR6 is a quick car from 40mph up my tube video showing a 9.9sec 60-100mph pull is proof the car is a fast car.

Like said, people think because of its 2.8 litre engine it should fly. In some respects it does...if someone kept saying that to me (depending on how they were saying it) i would take my car elsewhere.

when people know something about the vr6 (most dont!) they simply assume its just another heavy lump mk3, like most v6 cars it has a lot of grunt and does it in a smooth civilised way, true its not an out and out racer by any means, but to drive one thats been lowered!! properly! it can still upset a lot of superior cars that are considered far better? and much more expensive

Yep a honda civic type R had to move out of the way for me yesterday while pegging it up a dual carraigeway, note "up" those things have no torque at all! Kept up with my mates leon cupra R too altho he does pull away slightly as he gets the turbo but top end theres nothing in it, cant close the gap tho! I think for about 4k the VR6 is a bargain its a good comprimise between a lot of cars.

The people who do know a thing or 2 about the VR6 are the one who dont mention the speed and mid range torque - they talk about the strenth on the engine, the sound it produces, the status it still has. In my eyes they are the german cosworth. Both have big following and was made around the same period. Two totally different cars but yet have the same people interested in them.... Classic motors that never age.

when people know something about the vr6 (most dont!) they simply assume its just another heavy lump mk3' date=' like most v6 cars it has a lot of grunt and does it in a smooth civilised way, true its not an out and out racer by any means, but to drive one thats been lowered!! properly! it can still upset a lot of superior cars that are considered far better? and much more expensive

[/quote']

well said, i dont care if its no the fastest car in the world i love mine.

he is some one that used to own a VR6 highline tho, i duno if it was a knacker or the fact he had had a scooby turbo before...but guess thats his opinion even that it stinks.

binliner good point i should take my buisiness elsewhere

i think its worse taht he he owned one , cus iv been told 'iv hard they dont go' and that makes me grin cus they aint even been in one!

Its the fact that a turbo'd car makes you think you are going alot faster than you are whereas a normally aspirated car just pulls all the way through the rev range so you dont get that kick. I think ths is the reason why most companys now turbo there cars people get in them and think whoaa this s fast as fuck when really its not. my mate has a golf TD and he said that it was faster than the vr6 what a div i did't even waste the fuel trying to beat him

Went to a garage yesterday. they guy there agian took the piss out of my car

he said: 'why dont you buy a fast car instead of messing around with these things'

then went onto say 'i smoked a vr6 in that tdi the other day' (dont know if he meant tdi van or what?)

he drives a range rover and used to have a vr6' date=' but still........... :@

[/quote']

Well if he is calling the VR slow then he is calling all Civic Type R's, R32's, Focus St's, mk5 GTIs all slow too... as a lightly modified VR (just air filter and exhaust), or even stock, will keep up with all.

I suspect to be honest he either doesn't know what your car's really like or is just jealous. Most people think the VR is just a 2 litre same or similar to the GTI. It's in a totally league with close to 50bhp more than the 16v. If it was true that he says he smoked a VR well why in the first place would a VR bother to put effort in and race a TDI.

you know ive got to say that i have had what i thought were quick cars in the past, ie 5.3xjs 205gti 1.9 the list goes on but i had to buy my vr6 off my mate i loved it. beastly engine in a not to big car i thought it is mad as standard. my first golf and the full package i wanted, its the real deal for me. But i want it to have more power, only cos it seems like its asking for more. i picture some germans tanked up on ale, saying come on lets bang a 2.8 lump in the golf, it,s crackers but i love it, its happy in every driving enviroment and so am i. :) SLOW ? MY ARSE

that last comment "its fast enough for me" is the best way to go ! yes the vr6 is a quick car but dont be surprised if a mondeo st gives you a good run for your money ! at end of the day i used to say i had 'beaten' various cars but in reality it was probably down their driver error - the best one for me was trying to keep up with an audi a3 3.2l - it took ages for me old vr6 to get to that speed although it did in the end - in my r32 that speed comes much much more quickly !!

dont go to the garage if he slags your car off!!!

as said before ppl assume becouse its a 2.8 its got a million bhp . they all forget the vr6 engine was never intended for huge bhp , if vw intended to do that thy would of from the factory . the engine has huge potential and is in my eyes 'detuned' from vw . thus making it even more reliable! .

just my opinion :)

Liam

The people who do know a thing or 2 about the VR6 are the one who dont mention the speed and mid range torque - they talk about the strenth on the engine' date=' the sound it produces, the status it still has. In my eyes they are the german cosworth. Both have big following and was made around the same period. Two totally different cars but yet have the same people interested in them.... Classic motors that never age.

[/quote']

intresting point well made there mate

yes agreed interesting point .... i'd disagree slightly with your comment about the same people interested in them though ! the cosworth is in your face with silly spoilers and too much body kit - i liken a cosworth owner to someone who really wants a scooby wrx sti in the rare combination of metallic blue and gold alloys and a bimbo with blond hair in the passenger seat !! i think the vr6 ... like other vw's and especially audi's now like understatement - in fact have you seen the new golf advert about 'understatement' on tv at the moment - its apt to me and if you dig a vw brochure out from the late 80's it's the same theme - but then it was pitching the golf gti (class) vs the astra gte (chavtastic) ... i know lots about the vr6 and am quite happy to mention its strength (torque) midrange - yes it did have status but there i think the blinkers have been put on !!!

Guys I'm from South Africa and we get smart a$$'s around here almost everyday...but what they fail to realise is that VW had this kind of power 14yrs ago(in some cases mine is a 98' model four day) this was when there shiny dicks hadn't even been thought up yet....fair enough 1st and 2nd is really strong but not that strong but once you hit 3rd gear everybody behind me and watch my a$$ disappear and everyone in front better move out the way!!