Windows Vista - anyone tried it yet?

It's visually far superior to XP and is great for finding your files quickly, but there's a few nasty bugs and program compatibility is not great. Pretty much par for the course when it comes to new Microsoft operating systems!

Forget the 64-bit version - nothing works with it. The 32-bit version is a lot better and most hardware & software can be made to work by downloading updates from the vendors' websites.

ETKA (2005) doesn't work with it at all, though (it uses 16-bit code) VAG-COM 4.0.4 seems to be OK...

Vista = 1gb ram min spec 2gb to make is smoother (ie screw u bill gates!) money makes the world go around and linux gives us the chance to spend money on out cars! whoop Sound advice from peeps wait till sp2 and when we've managed to scrape some money for more ram! lol

hmmm just gotta love that linux XGL desktop hmmmmm lovelly! MR Admin, u seen this completely usless but sexy looking gui? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWe-TIy2Lbs looks cool but where are the file&folder names?!!

MR Admin' date=' u seen this completely usless but sexy looking gui? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWe-TIy2Lbs looks cool but where are the file&folder names?!!

[/quote']

Hmm interesting. I think the icons would need to be bigger and convey more information in order for this concept to work, but it's great that there are people out there thinking up stuff like this.

When Windows 95 came out, it was a major step forward in usable GUIs and this is why we all forked out loads on new hardware so we could run it, even though it's core technologies were unreliable as heck! (it was basically MS-DOS with a million bolt-ons!).

Since then, innovations in computer interfaces have been thin on the ground. Vista may look pretty and does have a few genuinely useful new features (I like how a mini version of a window pops up when you hover over its taskbar button), in operation it is basically the same as any other Microsoft OS since Win95. Early Vista demos had a 3D desktop where windows were "Pulled forward" when you clicked on them - it's a shame all this was dropped. Bloody Microsoft just want to make money by "drip feeding" us new features, I reckon.

Vista = 1gb ram min spec 2gb to make is smoother (ie screw u bill gates!)

But you gotta remember that a 1Gb stick of RAM costs the same now as what a 256 Meg stick did when Windows XP came out, so in real terms it hasn't gotten any more expensive.

Just been looking at Office 2007 as well. That numpty toolbar with the big patronising icons is just NASTY!

XGL? Thats so yesterday! AIGLX all the way baby ;) - what distro you running? I'm running it on Ubunutu Edgy Eft.

Currently using Beryl SVN on my box at present, some of the features it has are quite usefull, especially the viewpoints, which are similar to macs, and the overall accelerated desktop makes a very plesent experience.

The "ribbon bar" in office is a massive change to the UI, office essentially has not changed that much since Windows 3.11.

And us techie guys know how much users like change?

Pete

Me am Ubuntu mon! :D runnin edgy.. had issues runnin xgl but then realized I needed more than an radeon 64ddr lol god bless beryl, just playing with it at home use XP Pro at home (boo hiss I hear you cry) Anterea you have to realize I am a cheap skate! LOL anything that fits in my bad from work end up at home hehehe. Totally agree about office 2007.I have installed 37 copies today at work! If i see another patronising toolbar i think I will put my head thru a TFT lol...

users hate change, it just makes out jobs harder and my phone rings more..."how to I copy and paste again fatboy?????" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

:D

It takes up 17Gb aswell once its installed - Im sticking with XP until I have to change. Looks like all they've done is made it like a Mac OS! Dont you need a 128Mb graphics card aswell? So many pc's & laptops out there wont be able to run it properly

Doesnt matter what GFX card you have for vista, none of the fucking drivers work properly anyway! - seen the problems with the G80's? :D

Ubuntu - good man :) You will be pushed to get anything working nicely if you have an ATI card, there driver support plain sucks under *nix. NVIDIA is what you need.

I'm beta testing Feisty Fawn, such an improvment over eft IMHO. :) we will wait and see in April ;)

Doesnt matter what GFX card you have for vista' date=' none of the fucking drivers work properly anyway! - seen the problems with the G80's? :D

[/quote']

Yes, there are lots of bugs. I have an NVidia 7800GT-512 graphics card in my m/c and this has been fine, but the built-in driver for my SI3132 SATA controller has been VERY problematic....

Totally agree about office 2007.I have installed 37 copies today at work! If i see another patronising toolbar i think I will put my head thru a TFT lol...

Tell me about it. If they dumb down Windows any more' date=' I might have to join Pete & co in the scary world of Linux!!

[img']http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/antera309/Avatars/vista.jpg

If it aint broke don't fix it! As long as it does what you require at a decent speeed why upgrade it will only cause compatability issues with yor current hardware/software. As stated let other muppets try it. Remember ME? I managed to avoid that one and went straight to XPsp2. Patience ;)