Cold air intake hose location

Hey Folks,

I've just fitted a Pipercross Viper cold air induction kit and have trial fitted the air hose to the stock intake location in the wing, rather than mounting the hose to the lower bumper grills as per the guide on this site. My main reason for doing this was fear of water being sucked up into the engine from mounting a high pressure intake hose so low down (given our charming UK winter weather and all..).

So has anyone an opinion on whether this is a sensible thing to do versus having the hose mounted in the bumper?

Must say she purr's nicely at higher revs and the acceleration is more responsive and smoother than before.

Will post some pics shortly.

Only current observation is that there are two bends in the hose but I didn't have to crush it to fit around the headlight as suggested in the fitting guide in members section. If this way is preferable to mounting in the bumper then I may shorten the hose

tbh the only way that will work is if you have the wing vented, the stock CAI just goes into the wing and is pretty much useless IMO. Most people remove or relocate the carbon cannister tot he other side, and put the CAI into the bumper vent. I wouldn't bother with any it makes little or no difference. As long as the filter has a heat shield.

My main reason for doing this was fear of water being sucked up into the engine from mounting a high pressure intake hose so low down (given our charming UK winter weather and all..)

Apart from the fact that that isnt a high pressure hose and you'd have to drive through about 25cm of water for it just to go in let alone get sucked up a metre of hose, it probably doesnt make much difference either way and putting it where you have seems like a lot less work... as has been said before I dont think they actually make a blind bit of difference anyway ;)

Actually thinking about it the stock system narrows quite considerably as it goes into the wing doesnt it?

Hey Jezmoz,

I don't think anyone is ignoring you advice, in my case this is only a trial. Haven't had time to change the CAI location yet or look at improving air flow to the wing. Must say that the car runs and sounds better with this set up versus stock air box.

Would be interesting to see if there was a way of venting the wing without cutting into the side of it.

i would send the cold air feed down the the front bumper , behind the O/S front grill . should squeeze past the carbon canister i think or between the alternator and the leg (with a squish) .

wouldent worry about water , as bliner said you'd have to drive though a lot for it to suck any up into the engine .

Your arrangement will prevent the intake of hot air from inside the engine bay, which is good. However, it will not give you the "ram" effect at speed like fitting to the bumper intake will. I can understand your concerns about water ingress, but I ran a BMC CDA with a cold air feed hose going to the bumper for 2 years on my last VR and never had any problems in bad weather.