Instrument Panel illumination - replace ?

Hello folks, so for 2 years I have been driving around with the rev counter lit perfectly and the speedo lit dimly - only one of the 2 lights in the dash were working. Last night the remaining lamp blew.

How are these replaced? Has anyone had a similar problem and put in their own DIY solution?

Any tips would be well received.

BTW my VR is now on Sweden and has been running faultlessly other than this. Starts 1st time at -15 ;-)

That sounds good - probably cheaper & easier than replacing the actual bulbs. If you could find the thread that would be great. I'm not sure what voltage LEDs are usually, or where to get them, but I suppose you could wire several of them in series to divide the voltage...

Thanks for the advice lads. I think I might just go for the VW bulbs. I'm in Sweden and VW dealers are easier to find than LEDs.

Found a good guide to fitting the dash bulbs on this VR6OC. Lost the link now but here's a bit of the content:

Clocks are easy to remove as there are no drive cables Remove the ABS/Airbag light unit - prize out with blade

Push plunger on side of lighting switch to release and expose screw

Remove trim on left of clocks to expose second screw

Remove both screws securing binnacle surround

Drop steering wheel column on adjuster to allow withdrawal of binnacle surround

Remove both screws securing clocks

Tilt clocks and remove loom connector on top-left side

Un-click hinge pins holding lower edge of clocks

Withdraw clocks

Un-clip light box on top of clocks

Remove green light filter film

Replace with film colour of your choice

Re-assemble reversing the order of above steps.