How to wrap an Exhaust Manifold FAQ..

Sorry if it is wrong section..

I thought I'd start this

whilst I have seen others on here and will be studying the pictures I thought it may be something to add to the list.

So can anyone tell me the best way to wrap the manifold?

I understand wetting the wrap first is good!

So whats the process cut lengths and go for a leg at a time???? Down one and up the other????? I've got the 50 ft roll following advice off the forum..... just dont want to run out .... ;)

Thanks chaps.....

well your best to soak the wrap as i was advised by one of my mates who works at AWD. i then wrapped it used jubilee clips and some sort of wire my mate advised as he says the jubilee clips can come loose.u need at least 50% wrap and 50 meters is loads. do one leg at a time. just guess then measure it do a leg and if it was not enough cut more next time or visa versa

i then never got round to fitting it so i sold it.

OK So have begun the quest.

Here are some personal observations...

I think the length of roll should be ok - Just

I was short of clips.. others have survived I was short by 3!

I found the dificult area was where the 2 of sections where the 3 pipes join together. The wrap wants to go natuarally in opposite directions due to the contours of the pipe... You'll see what I mean..

So I wrapped the six legs first off and got as close to the centre of this section as possible. I then went to the other end of the pipe and came back up the length to where they then branch back off to 3 again. This lets me deal with the issue of saggy wrap..I also used quate a bit of wrap here as you do kinda go over yourself a litle more in order to keep the tension and wrap looking pretty.

From an equipment perspective.

I know you may feel a bit of a ... well u know - wearing safety goggles, gloves,mask etc. I can only say do it as they will save you from death of a million cuts and you will not sting for a month whilst the little glass shards escape from your clothes and skin!

A sharp cutting item is essential as the ends want to fray naturally..

I found wetting the wrap and then squeezing excess water from it by dragging between thumb and forefinger meant it was damp enough and actually helped it grip a little to itself

I figured it takes about 4 hours including the odd redo and moment whilst you figure the path..

Good luck ;)

Not quite finished yet....

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1170947763_4100_FT156697_dsc00047.jpg]1170947763_4100_FT156697_dsc00047_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1170947763_4100_FT156697_dsc00054.jpg]1170947763_4100_FT156697_dsc00054_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1170947763_4100_FT156697_dsc00055.jpg]1170947763_4100_FT156697_dsc00055_.jpg[/lightbox]

well done mate looks good hope u have good engine mounts!!!

nightmare to fit according to PVW and yes replace the gaskets, there would be nothing worse than fitting the 6-2-1 then finding the gasket is leaking after and have to take off the whole lot again would their?

yes mate I have... Got a charger going in :)

One final thing when you use the metal ties put them on so when you pull them they are in the same direction as your wrap so they help tighten and not loosen the wrap. --- If you see what I mean. Wel mine is all done so just gotta fit it now :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...