I had the temperature light flashing at me earlier, so thought I'd check coolant level, way below the min, took 11/2 litres to get it back to max. Not sure where it is going, car runs fine, can't see any obvious leaks, no loss of power and checked oil/water contamination (not a thing). Do they use coolant at all?

The other worrying thing is a water staining near the ABS pump side of the engine.... +o(

The common leaks are:

the thermostat housing being cracked or seals perished.

the bearings/casing of the Aux water pump.

the heater matrix shot, check passanger carpets

or the main water pump bearings.

Run her up to temp on a cold night and look for 'steam'.

I should really put this in the FAQs.

TG

nope from the top mate,undo ur top right engine cover,undo ur coil pack,move it up out the way,drain coolant,unplug the sensors,take the pipes off and undo the housing,the bk bolt will be a pain coz there is hardly ant room to get to it,but once u have that undone the wholw lot will come off,for piece of mind i got new housing,new seals,new thermostat and new sensors,was still all in under £50 and was well worth it mate

one thing tho make sure u get all new gaskets,especially the one that goes between the housing and the head (an o ring if i remember correctly) and clean the head up where the housing sits too so u get a flush fit

yup ^^ i managed to do it without moving the batt but looking bk i wish i had lol,just take ur time mate and it will be fine

oh iv mentioned this before in another thread but as ur doin a coolant change check to see if u have a blk or blue coolant tank cap,as the blk ones leak,so if u havent got a blue on,stop in at a dealers,as there cheap as chips and are most def worth having i think the part numbers 1J0 121 321C but i sure richie could confirm?

Yes, I had a leak from the same place and replacing the thermostat housing fixed it. Remove engine covers, battery and all coolant hoses and you'll have pretty good access to the three 5mm Allen bolts that secure the housing to the engine, but be careful - these bolts round off VERY easily.

The housing in 4 pieces - 3 bits of plastic plus the thermostat itself. replace the whole lot. The only parts you should re-use are the sensors that plug into the front.

When refitting, do not attach the housing's front piece (the adapter piece that connects to the plastic transfer pipe that goes across the front of the engine) until the rest of the housing is securely bolted to the engine. If you bolt the front piece to the housing beforehand, the housing-to-engine mounting bolts will not line up.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

iv'e got the same problem,if i undo the 3 allen key bolts,will the whole lot come of including the transfer pipe,was thinking of taking the bumper of because the 2 allen key bolts between the housing and transfer pipe have rounded of,

iv'e got the same problem' date='if i undo the 3 allen key bolts,will the whole lot come of including the transfer pipe,was thinking of taking the bumper of because the 2 allen key bolts between the housing and transfer pipe have rounded of,

[/quote']

The whole housing will. The transfer pipe simply plugs into the rest, with an o-ring obviously. Be careful to remove the housing in line with the transfer pipe to reduce the risk of cracking / splitting it.