VR6 Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacment

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where have the pics gone from start of thread??

Hi, anyone know if PeterVR6 is still about? (I'm very new). I'd like to see the Photos from the original post, any chance they can be fixed/recovered/reuploaded? Cheers

Ah great, thanks! Glad you're "still about" haha, Club Chairman hey? I probably should know that, but tooooo green here

• 6 months later...

i bought i tensioner from a bloke of ebay fitted it to my car and was lovely and quited until it siezed n cought fire melting it n burning the belt. luckly still had my old one n got a belt. the bloke had washed the parts in degreaser washing the grease out so be warned about second hand ones.

• 4 weeks later...

I have bought a new bearing (6203-2rs) Cost me £1.85 with free postage! Gonna have a crack at changing it... Better than paying £50 + for a new unit!

thanks

just done mine with 6203-2rs bearing cost all of £5 an easy job

• 2 months later...

Hi guys sorry i didn't get back sooner. If your still interested' date=' I managed to replace the bearing no problem at all. what you do is... remove the tensioner from the engine. remove the pulley from the tensioner (the thread on the bolt through the pulley is reverse thread so undo it in a clockwise direction) . now on both sides of the bearing itself there is a plastic ridge in the pulley (if you can understand that!) you need to take a sharpe Stanley blade and carve one side away allowing you to press out your old one and press in your new one. i used a crap vice a bit of wood and some old sockets! Honestly it is easy. I bought a second hand one from e-bay as a backup and as it was so easy i replaced them both. obviously i now have a spare with a brand new bearing so if anyone's interested maybe we could work something out!

[/quote']

For the record' date=' bought the required bearing but found the that original is unfortunately cast into the plastic of the puley itself and so cannot easily be removed (if at all). So, off to the stealership to pay £66 for a new one. Baws.

[/quote']

on mine there only a plastic lip on one side of pully allowing you to press/tap bearing out n change it if required.

• 6 months later...

please help i was driving my vr last night and the belt snapped i had to drive home about 2 to 3 miles coasting most of the way do you think i would have done any damage, the temp was at 110 and they temp light was flashing???/ am off this morn to buy new belt but want to know if its poss i got away with it or not!!! :)

please help i was driving my vr last night and the belt snapped i had to drive home about 2 to 3 miles coasting most of the way do you think i would have done any damage' date=' the temp was at 110 and they temp light was flashing???/ am off this morn to buy new belt but want to know if its poss i got away with it or not!!! :)

[/quote']

Only time will tell I'm afraid. I've cooked mine twice when coolant hoses or flanges went, to no ill effect. However both times I was able to pull over ( or make it back to the pits ;-) ) within 1/4 mile

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys sorry i didn't get back sooner. If your still interested' date=' I managed to replace the bearing no problem at all. what you do is... remove the tensioner from the engine. remove the pulley from the tensioner (the thread on the bolt through the pulley is reverse thread so undo it in a clockwise direction) . now on both sides of the bearing itself there is a plastic ridge in the pulley (if you can understand that!) you need to take a sharpe Stanley blade and carve one side away allowing you to press out your old one and press in your new one. i used a crap vice a bit of wood and some old sockets! Honestly it is easy. I bought a second hand one from e-bay as a backup and as it was so easy i replaced them both. obviously i now have a spare with a brand new bearing so if anyone's interested maybe we could work something out!

[/quote']

Clicky

I find Simply bearings the best plcae to order bearings from, they stock everything. I order everything from main bearings for 2 stroke dirt bikes to wheel bearings.

replaced my belt a few weeks back, (got someone to do it for me) a week later the bearing failed, totally disintegrated, drove for about 3 miles at motorway speeds and called RAC, they had tensioner pulley from a skoda that fitted, genius!! Went to VW, complete unit was quoted as 98 pounds, I said thanks and walked out. Enquired on here and Pete VR6 gave me a link to a website for the pulley alone $16 shipped. Can put it on here if you like. Took a week to arrive but that was no issue. Have not yet fitted it... guess I should soon....... Good guide, cheers

• 2 months later...

mine has started tomake a noise today (just done 200 miles and kept putting wd40 on it). thought i would pop it off and grease it quickly tonight, and the placewere you screw in a bolt to release the tension isn't their!!!! their is threads on the side of the tensioner and you can see where it has snapped of!!! so i tried releasing the tension with a spanner on the 15mm bolt on the actual pulley but i cant put enough pressure on it.going to try with a bigger bar. but can anyone advise what to do please

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It might be worth just replacing the whole tensioner assembly. I got it (new) for £42. About a tenner for the belt. 15 minute job.

I went to B&Q for a 100mm M8 hex bolt (to press spring in tensioner). The 100mm bolt was so long that the head didn't interfere with the two fuel lines nearby. I only used a fraction of it's length.

A 13mm socket was the only tool I used, but that's with no airbox. With an airbox a 13mm spanner would also be required.

If I ever hear a squeak from that region again, I'm replacing the tensionier wheel immediately. You've only got a few miles to get home / garage if it fails on you.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...