Supercharging FAQ

As long as your engine is healthy you should just be able to bolt that kit on and just chill out' date='

[/quote']

Yeah that is what i was hoping for but as I know Alex knows his stuff am happy to add a few other bits and bobs to ensure the longevity of my engine and maybe give me a bit more power ;)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Until you try some good brakes, you have no idea how bad the standard ones are :-) Don't get me wrong, we don't all have deep pockets, but seriously......4 pots and 330mm discs are what high performan

Ben you will need Bosch red injectors for sure for a stage 2, buy them from the states it will be much cheaper. I was running a Forge 007P dump valve you get them on edition 38 for about £35-40 or ebay.

Standard clutch is ok as the guys have said but do you know youve got a genuine VW jobbie on there because most of the other so called standard clutches are not up to the job.

When I had my Vortech V9 stage 2, 268s, red injectors and 83mm forgies it made 293hp at Stealth.

Ben you will need Bosch red injectors for sure for a stage 2' date=' buy them from the states it will be much cheaper. I was running a Forge 007P dump valve you get them on edition 38 for about £35-40 or ebay.

Standard clutch is ok as the guys have said but do you know youve got a genuine VW jobbie on there because most of the other so called standard clutches are not up to the job.

When I had my Vortech V9 stage 2, 268s, red injectors and 83mm forgies it made 293hp at Stealth.

[/quote']

Cheers mate - right so will get some red injectors, a Forge dump valve then to add on as well. Yeah I do have a standard clutch checked the paperwork and it's never been replaced so guess it must be standard.

Yeah the guy i bought the kit off said on his car it made nearly 285 so should be fun :):)

Also for any of the boys currently running chargers - I presume I should be looking to upgrade the brakes as well ? Any thoughts ?

The standards arent bad, decent discs, pads and fluid are always worth doing as a matter of course.

Im soon gonna fit Porsche brakes to mine, but thats more for how they'll look behind the Porsche splits ive got waiting to go one

Until you try some good brakes, you have no idea how bad the standard ones are :-)

Don't get me wrong, we don't all have deep pockets, but seriously......4 pots and 330mm discs are what high performance VR6s need.

Junctions and roundabouts come up real quick ;-)

312s with Ferodo DS2500s are about as good as you can get with stock bolt on parts, but AP Racing or Brembo is the way to go if you can afford it :-)

I would also change the Master Cylinder for a MK4 24mm item

hmmmm right well will run it with the original ones to start with and see how I get on and then maybe look to change up. It was something I had budgeted for doing as presumed it would be necessary to improve the stopping power.

I love the fact that everyone has had different experiences and as you say Kev different depth of pockets in order to get different opinions and get the depth of everyones knowledge :) :) :) good stuff fellas

well just to add to what the guys have said really.

If you have plans to take the next step (stage 3 etc) at some point then all of Lizards information is spot on. I would add dont go mad on the cams the 248 is known as the charger cam... remember you are retarding the engine to run a FI system

The VAG clutch is great for the power a stage 2 pushes out. As with all these things in life if you abuse 'em they break so....

Brakes. Well I assume you would have upgraded to some level of fast road set up as a matter of course on a 10 year old car... So really as long as you have a good set up then great it will work and stop you. Just remember the usual breaking points on your runs will now be 50metres earlier as the speeds are natuarally higher. :D So the best you can and when yo can on that!

I am on 288 Brembo discs and fast road pads and they do me fine - not screaching and nice and progressive with enough bite. I am not on a track tho' so if you drive it like you stole it - upgrade it!

Hope it helps

It cost me under £500 to put the Porsche 996 turbo calipers and Brembo discs on mine. I have seen similar kits come up for sale for £4-500' date=' and a 312 setup has got to be a couple hundred to do right.[/quote']

Yeah, 911 and Boxster calipers come up quite often on the old bay for good prices.

Kevs setup must be £1300+ easy and they will stop better than my Brembos.

Sadly so :-( Nothing British made is cheap. Ebay is also your friend for AP. A lot of private race teams get through a lot of brakes during circuit testing and often only use them for one race then sell them on the bay!! The only VW specific bit is the bell and carrier.

I've not compared my APs, size for size, to a Brembo setup so it's hard to say how they would compare. Either way, slowing down from 120 to 20mph in what feels like 10 yards is totally addictive :-)

well just to add to what the guys have said really.

If you have plans to take the next step (stage 3 etc) at some point then all of Lizards information is spot on. I would add dont go mad on the cams the 248 is known as the charger cam... remember you are retarding the engine to run a FI system

The VAG clutch is great for the power a stage 2 pushes out. As with all these things in life if you abuse 'em they break so....

Brakes. Well I assume you would have upgraded to some level of fast road set up as a matter of course on a 10 year old car... So really as long as you have a good set up then great it will work and stop you. Just remember the usual breaking points on your runs will now be 50metres earlier as the speeds are natuarally higher. :D So the best you can and when yo can on that!

I am on 288 Brembo discs and fast road pads and they do me fine - not screaching and nice and progressive with enough bite. I am not on a track tho' so if you drive it like you stole it - upgrade it!

Hope it helps

Top stuff mate - yeah have got better discs and pads on at the mo so all good - and have ordered some injectors and a set of Samco's to change the other hoses at the same time. Got my date set with Jim ;) can't wait for the end of the month and then just need to organize a remap at Stealth :)

i am down vince on Friday!!!! cant wait...........vr6 with vortech stage 2/full s/s system/264 cam ect......going to put wi after the remap as a back up

Wait till he says take it for a run up the road and see if its ok, I bet you, you will get an attack of the giggles as you pull out of the carpark (and turn left, its a better cainage road and theres a layby to turn round in ;) )

The lad who helps with the mapping seems to stand at the back and wait for you to return to see how much your grinning haha

Yep! Really nice bits of kit, my front one is VF, I did want the rest but got offered a deal on the rear vibratechnics ones so did that instead

They are firmer than VTs so a VF comp front mount is a good way to go

and they are a pretty red colour :)