Pure Detail Vs Badly taken care of corrado

You've done a great job with that mate, i'm really into detailing aswel, i currently do most things by hand or using a cheap polishing machine, however i'm gonna invest in a decent machine set with all the pads ect... could you recommend a good one to get?? and where to get it, i 've been looking at alot on the net but they all seem to be in the US.

i would suggest the porter cable 7424. alot safer to use than the rotarys.

best bet is on ebay. For a PC with backing plate and 3 pads they are 140 - which is a good price.

Thanks Cav, i think that i'm gonna be buying myself one of those very soon, i'm really interested in detailing i've just never used a proper machine all i've had is a cheap polisher and used t-cut then a glaze, to be fair i got good results however i think the time has come to invest in some more kit, i joined detailing world and i have to say there is a wealth of knowledge on there. I'll post some pics after i get the machine.

Dave

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

what exactly is a detailer??

A valeter that pays attention to all the details - likes to get everything spot-on. For example' date=' will never miss a bit of the bodywork / arches / back of the wheels / leave swirl marks in the paint, will do the glass and even the exhaust tips!

[/quote']

I was speaking to one at VW Players, North Weald. He was doing a lot of the cars in The Show 'n' Shine. Even perfection is not good enough. Worth there weight in gold. You could spend hours cleaning and polishing and they would find somthing that was not right. :)

• 2 months later...

Its definatly addictive when you get the hang of all the steps and processes to properly detailing a car. Ive got to the point where Ive got some many bottles of magic potions, cloths, brushes etc, ive got 3 40ltr boxes stacked full of it! You'll start to notice almost everyone washes and waxes their car wrong and it'll make you cringe when you see them do it, even my local porsche showroom doesnt do it right!!

In the summer, when my mates call me to get down the beach or whatever, quite often I dont bother as its perfect detailing weather just after 1230 once my driveway is in the shade hahaha (geek). If you put the effort in and think about what order to do things in, its not that hard to get your motor looking resprayed, its just the effort that puts people off. Biggest tip of all I have to say, wash with the 2 bucket method and use a Schmitt wash mitt as they hold the wash solution instead of loosing most of it between the bucket and the car

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Right Cav or should I say god of the detailing underworld. A question mate typical stone ships on bonnet I want to paint in and match to the finish of my car to make them as un-noticeable as possible...............I did this on my mk2 with a touch up pot of paint then cut it back with an aggressive paste but they were still visible........ My other Dub pals said they werent it was just me as I knew exactly were each scratch blemish and mark was on the car .... But I would like a bit of input from a man of your talents fella ... Truly amazed well done.

1228252014_8485_FT154028_flame_.jpg

Pro Detailers generally start at £25 per hour. For the level of work in that post, you would be talking at least 7/8 days work. A good level of correction on the average car including engine bay and interior would take a minimum of 2 days. The important thing is to maintain the finish by using the correct wash method and regular layers of protection added. Detailing World has all the info you'll need and a whole lot your wallet doesn't!

For stone chip repairs see:

Stone Chip Repair