water loss since the thermostwat was changed

Got a stuck thermostwat about 6 months ago and got a local mechanic to replace it and ever since the car is using about 1litre of coolant every 5 weeks or so, I cant remember ever having to top it up before!!

Now could it be engine damage caused by the overheat when the themostwat jammed? Or could it be a little leak? The thing is the mechanic reckons he cant see a leak which is a bit worrying.

Done about 3-4k since with no other problems except a coil pack and plugs....

Any ideas? Could do with getting it sorted since I need to keep blinking cooland in the boot all the time.

Did they just change the Tstat or the housing and seals aswell.

sounds a bit suspect that you've started losing water since they've worked on it.

Check for leaks near the crack pipe as these are quite fragile, and also around the water pump area.

Is there any wet patches on the floor in the morning or anything.

If there are definitely no leaks then it could be slight damage to your head gasket caused by the overheating - which is bad news. I had a stuck thermostat a few months back (seems to be a fault with the vr) and Stealth initially said if you get any subsequent mysterious water loss with no obvious leaks then it is likely to be the head gasket. Luckily I didn't get any water loss and car is fine.

I think there is something called a leak down test that a good garage can do for you and also a compression test, all to make sure your head gasket is in good order. If your head gasket is slightly damaged then get it sorted asap to prevent further damage. I would also check that the thermostat and all its housing (which I assumed they also replaced) was all done correctly. Get The Phirm or Stealth to check it over if you can get to either.

• 2 weeks later...