i've got a 96 vr6 obd2 and it has started to have a little misfire when accelerating hard. standard apart from a n induction kit. 114k

its recently been serviced, apart from the plugs and leads, as the tool is broken and i've not got a new one yet.

i'm sure i read on here symptoms about the coil pack dieing but i can't seem to find it, so sorry, but does this sound like the coil pack? And while i'm here, where can i get the spark plug remover?

cheers

mike

I think patients is the key here! Get the plugs and leads changed before you start accusing the Coil pack of being dodgy. The tool is available direct from VW or Ebay, I imagine it is available at GSF too. You need to wait til its darkish and look for electrical arcing if you suspect the Coil or Leads. Sometimes the Coil has blatantly split the plastic insulation which is the most common fault, but they can also fail internally, either way replacement is the only option. There is a Chap on here that has a method of repairing cracks, but IMO this is only a temporary fix.

• 2 weeks later...

i've changed the plugs and leads and it was alot better but it was very lumpy on idle/misfire this morning while cold, i haven't used it since friday lunchtime. But its been raining nearly all weekend

is there anything else that should be obvious to check apart from the coil pack for cracks etc

would the air flow meter possibly cause this and how do you clean them? i've not noticed anything wrong with it, but i've fitted an induction kit so wanted to check its clean etc