DIY turbo guide

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started my turbo install this week, during the evenings. Turbos are starting to become more popular now, especially as the dollar is so weak at the moment. It would be rude not to capitalise on tha

you should be able to get 4" all the way, thats how its is on mine, but then that how markies done his 4" down to 3" back up

liking the look of this thread. im not realy a mechanic but have a technical background do believe i would be able to carry the fitment of a turbo myself??

DP flexi pipe (aka "Flex bellows") I got from Schimmel for 35 bucks. There just weren't any at all in the UK when I needed one. V Band 'kit' I also got from Shcimmel for about $30 IIRC. Comes with the clamp and 2 weld on rings. AET turbos also sell them' date=' but at £41+VAT a kit though. They're Clampco ones and very good quality.

[/quote']

Yeah, dont you find shops are realy retarded in the UK when it comes to forced induction parts! They are only any good for shiney stick on bits and neon lights :o

Yep, LOL!

To answer some questions:-

Throttle cable - It's just the standard one.

Road legal - Well I can't drive it if it isn't! Exhaust is 3" from turbo to back axle, where it mates up with the 2.25" SuperSprint system.

When the car is up and running, I will get a 2.5" exhaust and 3" cat made up. The Cat will be Vband for quick DIY removal/refit.

It's not the power that kills gearboxes, it's the torque. 3rd is a weak gear where the VW box is concerned when turboing the engine. It's usually when the tyres find grip again after a slip that causes the teeth to strip off.

350-400 wheel torque is pushing the boundaries, but it's useable on a daily basis so long as you don't do too many traffic light grand prix and are sensible with throttle openings.

If you go to 500 wheel torque and over, then you need to look at a stronger gear sets or the O2M gearbox and haldex 4WD :-)

Is that an Audspeed exhaust manifold? www.audspeed.com

This guy also advertises on ebay in the USA.

Jules

Audspeed are not the manufacturer, they are just a supplier. But yes its the same ;)

A buddy of mine has one in stock in the UK if you interested in one, I think he wants £300

Jules

Audspeed are not the manufacturer' date=' they are just a supplier. But yes its the same ;)

A buddy of mine has one in stock in the UK if you interested in one, I think he wants £300

[/quote']

Correct. Same thing.

I have loads in stock. And i only want £250 :)

Tom.

Jules

Audspeed are not the manufacturer' date=' they are just a supplier. But yes its the same ;)

[/quote']

Correct. Same thing.

I have loads in stock. And i only want £250 :)

Tom.

Ha Ha, that'll be cheaper then (y)

I did a little reading on the lm-1 & lc-1 :S I now understand that it basically tells you whats going on (good vid on the inovative site for insight), and that your using a RR-FPR, which could obviously be adjusted to suit your readings from the lc-1 :)

Is this going to be a temporary solution and what sort of PSI do you think will be safe with that setup? If it is temporary, what are you going to do to manage the fueling and ignition more effectively? I pressume the only solution would be to either go over to stand alone??? Or does anyone in the UK produce a custom eprom for such a solution???

Sorry for all the questions :$ but this is addictive stuff, and im sure others would be interested also :-p

Cheers

G

The maker of the manifold remains a mystery, but I have an interesting picture of what is actually ground off to show you later ;-)

Ciaran, I'm not sure how much it costs to go 4x4, but the parts are readily available. You need to modify a synchro rear axle to take the Haldex diff and if you use the 02M 6 cog box with it, it's good for 600hp out of the factory.

If you need proof, hunt out some youtube clips of EIP's turbo R32 ;-)

VRTime, Yes it is addictive :-)

Another thing you can do with the LC-1 (especially with OBD2) is take one of the two analogue outputs and feed the ECU with it. So you get the benefit of a wider voltage band with the convenience of the stock ECU. If you're going standalone, the LC-1 also has a digital 5 V output.

I have since bought and EGT gauage and read up on that too, so the combination of wideband AFR and EGT will tell me what i need to know. You can also go mad and monitor CHT too (cylinder head temp) because sometimes EGT can go low and CHT can go right up and you're in bother.... but I'm keeping the gauge count to a minimum - mechanical boost, AFR, EGT.

Yes I have a boost dependant RR-FPR.... the big alloy thing bolted to the chassis turret.

Yeah it's temporary. The wastegate has an 8psi spring in it, and that's going to be my 'testing' boost pressure. When I'm happy nothing is leaking and the knock data logs don't show anything too scary, I will up to 10psi, then 12, then 14, then 15 in safe steps and keep monitoring knock.

Then I will go up to my mechanic to get my 3.0 8.5 CR engine fitted, run that in and then it will be crunch time with the management. Do I go 4" maf + remap for 15psi and 380-400hp, or do I go standalone and 25psi? :-)

I don't know mate. I knew absolutely nothing about this stuff 3 months ago and I'm still learning, so I will play it by ear.

More gauges that you can wave a stick at lol :-d

Im also learning the "art", the more time I spend now asking questions the less time im removing bits of piston out of my sump :o

Im supprised to hear that you going to go with 8psi as a baseline with the RR-FPR, but I guess if the inovative stuff is going to give the right signals then its a big thumbs up!

Now just hurry up and finish it ;)

yes mate iv seen pics of the EIP R32 before fcukin mental machine like. might be worth me reshelling my car before i do anything cos we didn't do the best of jobs welding on the new chassis leg.

has a golf mk3 shell the same amount of space around it as the corrado bay??

MK3 bay is bigger mate. It's the car of choice for turboing as there's more room for intercoolers and such like. The Corrado is extremely cramped, everything has to be mm perfect.

The good news is that both the Corrado and MK3 were designed for 4x4 from day one, so have huge transmission tunnels and both boot floors can be cut out and replaced with a syncrho one (and corresponding tank) quite easily. You need the boot floor as it has the right clearance and also the hanger for the rear diff etc. It's been done on quite a few Corrados now.

A MK3 Syncrho would be a good car, but dump the synchro and go haldex.

More gauges that you can wave a stick at lol :-d

I'm trying to avoid a Boeing 747 dashboard. I'm a big believer in OE +. Discretion and subtlety ;-)

Besides which' date=' too many gauges can distract you and cause information overload. You can end up focusing more on those that relaxing and enjoying the car. Just the right amount of info is enough ;-)

Im also learning the "art", the more time I spend now asking questions the less time im removing bits of piston out of my sump :o

Indeed. Take your time and double check things and you'll be fine.

Are you from the States? If so you have Bill Schimmel in Warminster at your disposal....he's the God of VR6 Turbos ;-)

Im supprised to hear that you going to go with 8psi as a baseline with the RR-FPR' date=' but I guess if the inovative stuff is going to give the right signals then its a big thumbs up![/quote']

8psi is just the spring value in the wastegate, so seems a good starting point. The RRFPR I've got is good for 20psi, but I won't use it for that kind of boost though, I'd prefer a map or standalone.

Bear in mind though that 8psi is still good for 'only' 280hp with 290lb/ft torque :-)

Now just hurry up and finish it ;)

LOL, shouldn't be much longer now!

Okey dokey, a few more updates....

The wastegate dump is figured out. I know what you're thinking and I agree, it's less than ideal, but it's the best I could do for the time being. That's now gone off to the welder and that's it for the exhaust. I'll lag it up this week and mate it up to the exhaust.

wastegate_dump.jpg

The intercooler is in. It just hangs there to allow movement as the engine rocks. I've popped a bit of spare samco under it just in case. Plenty of fore and aft rocking space. Boost loss through that intercooler is 0.25 psi and with such a short path and the SRI aswell, it's going to have a pretty good throttle response.

intercooler1.jpg

I've relocated the fan controller and PAS bottle. The screen wash tank is going in the boot with the intercooler tank and battery. When it's running how I want, I will get the boost pipes made up in one peice to reduce the amount of connections, but it's solid enough now.

Next to the fan controller is a twin piston BOV, but I'm changing that for a recirc as I don't want jerky gearchanges. When I eventually go to a MAP sensor, I can then reinstate the BOV.

intercooler.jpg

All that's left to do now is:-

Make false boot floor

Fit intercooler water tank, battery and screen washer tank

Run water lines under car

Wire in boost gauge and Wideband controller (wires already through bulkhead though)

Finish off fuel rail connections

Fit downpipe to exhaust

And a couple of other small bits and bobs.

I am hoping to get all that done this week and fingers crossed, I can bring her up on Sunday to the Stealth Rolling road day.

I'm quite pleased with how it's going, but being a natural worrier, I'm a bit ambivalent about it too. i.e. Will it run? Will things leak? Will I blow it up.... etc etc!

It's only got to last 180 miles to get to Stealth and then they can drop the 3.0 litre in and map it with the 440s and 4" maf housing!

Antonio - Nope, you get sweet FA with turbos! For a GT turbo you will need a -4 oil feed line, a restrictor, oil filter housing adapter, T3 gasket, 4 x 20mm bolts and oil drain fittings and hose....all seperate items.

Gary - Yeah, I did get a few didn't I? LOL! They're torque tension clamps, much better than worm drive and T bolt clamps....but they're expensive :-(