DIY turbo guide

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started my turbo install this week, during the evenings. Turbos are starting to become more popular now, especially as the dollar is so weak at the moment. It would be rude not to capitalise on tha

you should be able to get 4" all the way, thats how its is on mine, but then that how markies done his 4" down to 3" back up

liking the look of this thread. im not realy a mechanic but have a technical background do believe i would be able to carry the fitment of a turbo myself??

No short answer for that really. Intake design is an area of big debate and is very scientific.

Some people say short runner plenum volume should be 1.6 times the engine's cubic capcity, but it often boils down to what will actually fit on the engine without moving alternators and chopping up slam panels etc.

As far as boost is concerned, some folk say tiny plenums are best for spool up / throttle response, but long runners and larger plenums have been shown to work too.

IMO, the best intake is one that provides the broadest spread of power across the entire rev range and the Schimmel one doesn't dissapoint!

If I said that on the VW Vortex then WW3 definitely would have started :-) You're not allowed an opinion on that forum, unless it's the right one of course ;-)

Go for it mate. There's probably some good books out there to point you in the right direction.

Made a bit more progress....

Downpipe's coming together. This is the shape you're aiming for with the ATP. From the top, I used a tight 90, 30 degree section, then a 90 degree and finally a 3" Ilok flex. All from Jetex.

ATP_downpipe1.jpg

ATP_downpipe.jpg

Since it's impossible to fit the flex on the vertical (wastegate gets in the way), next best thing is mounting it at 45 degrees above the front ARB.

ilok_flex.jpg

The pipe to bulkhead gap is bigger than it looks, there's about an inch, which is plenty with uprated engine mounts...

ATP_downpipe2.jpg

Hi temp oil drain hose from ATP. I'm draining back to the block for easier driveshaft clearance.

turbo_oil_drain.jpg

Here's a tip for fitting JIC push hose fittings. I'd get some plastic vice jaws from Speedflow. They hold the fitting tight and protect the delicate anodised finish. Warm the hose in boiling water for a minute and put some fairy liquid on the barbs. The hose will then slide on easily and save you a lot cursing!!

hose_fittings.jpg

Factory air box is a goer. I'm happy with the way the fuel reg and fuel hose fit around it. Just need to find a rubber bellow to fit between the airbox and intake pipe and the job's a good un :-)

stock_airbox.jpg

Even with the big SX regulator, you can still get the airbox lid off for filter changes as if it were a standard engine :-)

I kinked the hose 90 degrees under the intake pipe to give a bit of flex when the engine moves back and forth, again, just like the stock hoses ;-) I used stainless hose around there because it's quite close to the manifold. I don't trust rubber and heat when dealing with 5+ bar fuel pressure!.

stock_airbox1.jpg

Getting there, slowly, but surely!

looking good kev

Right stupid question time.. is he oil feed and return to the turbo just strate bits of pipe or is there regulator on the feed in to control the flow or the oil?

will the standard airbox flow enough?

and is there any reason why you can't or people don't make SRIs out of mild steel?

and i wan't your garage lol

keep up the good work...

Cheers Bodge mate!

There's an oil restrictor on the turbo itself, which GTxxxR turbos need, but other than that, just straight bits of pipe / hose.

The only potentially restrictive thing about the standard airbox is the inlet throat behind the headlight, but that unclips and opens up a much bigger hole if needed. I'll try it as it is first and go from there. I suspect any restriction will only be noticable at high rpm and / or high boost (15+ psi).

Good question on the SRI and the answer is I don't know, LOL! No reason why you can't but I suspect alloy dissipates heat more better than steel, so a better material for intakes?

You can have the garage......if you buy the rest of the house to go with it ;-)

Craggsy, LOL, better wipe up before the missus gets the wrong idea :-) And cheers!

the cost of alloy though is much cheaper than these other materials and easier to mass produce the other option is to manufacture one from carbon weave and resin as this also dissipates heat quickly but also doesn't absorb heat as fast as metal. so if you are planning on making your own these factors are all things you need to take into consideration. will let you all know how my homebrew inlet turns out

Few minor updates:-

Got the last bit of welding back from my mate last week ago and looking good so far.

pipe_finished.jpg

The wastegate dump pipe is done and he's got that in for welding too, but these are the construction pics.

I just used a little piece of straight, a 1.75" flex and a 90 degree. If using the Tial 44mm WG, you'll need 1.75" bore pipe and if you're using the 38mm, you need 1.5" pipe.

WG_dump_and_main_downpipe.jpg

wastegate_pipe.jpg

wastegate_pipe1.jpg

Once you're happy with your angles and how the dump pipe butts up against the main downpipe, you need to make a hole in the main pipe. I couldn't find a nibbler tool strong enough to cut through stainless for reasonable money, so I had to do it the tedious way.

You don't want to know how many drill bits I got through doing this. Motto - don't buy cheap drill bits!!

Nice welding isn't it? :-)

hole_drilling.jpg

Then you obviously just file it all out smooth.

I finished the fuel lines. I also pulled out the standard plastic lines and run -6 JIC lines front to back. I also did what VW do and use blue hose for return and black for fuel in, just in case someone else works on this car.

fuel_lines_done.jpg

Airbox is finished. The ATP rubber inlet isn't much use, so I had to make something up with bits of silicon I had laying around and I'm happy with how it all sits.

It's too rigid though, so I'll need to find a rubber coupling to ensure the airbox stays still when the engine rocks back. I've looked at an Audi R8's rubber coupling and it might just be do the job, so I'll order one.

airbox_done.jpg

Should get the next bit of welding back next week sometime hopefully and the downpipe is practically done, just needs a couple of lambda sockets etc.