DIY turbo guide

Sorry guys, no updates really. It's been boringly reliable for some time now :-)

on another note whats the difference between standard management and this standalone thingy and if im running 440 injectors with a 255 walbro will i also need an uprated fpr?

A standalone is just an ECU which is fully open for race tuners and people who want the freedom to do what they like, when they like :-) It's also not bound to a set of rules and limitations imposed by the manufacturer, such as emissions constraints. Complete freedom :-). And if you understand computers and software, you will also find Standalone software to be far more logical and easy to use compared to Motronic's cock arse way of doing things in hex.

I went with a standalone because the standard ECU doesn't do what I want it to do and I wanted to take MAF sensors out of the equation altogether.

The standard ECU is locked down and requires a new chip everytime a map change is made, but despite that there are some things you just can't get round. It does a good enough job for most people though :-)

Standalones also have the advantage of having extra features you don't get with the standard Motronic 2.9 box, such as traction control and boost control (by rpm, gear or load).

You need the 3 bar FPR for your C2 42lb tune mate.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started my turbo install this week, during the evenings. Turbos are starting to become more popular now, especially as the dollar is so weak at the moment. It would be rude not to capitalise on tha

you should be able to get 4" all the way, thats how its is on mine, but then that how markies done his 4" down to 3" back up

liking the look of this thread. im not realy a mechanic but have a technical background do believe i would be able to carry the fitment of a turbo myself??

Sure thing mate and thanks for the interest :-)

Here she is, currently at 194,000 miles. Everything's original except the engine block and obvious things like wheels and suspension etc.

Oct08_side.jpg

Oct08_side1.jpg

The motor. I'm hoping to tidy a lot of this up this year with Drive By Wire and a new turbo with built in wastegate and dumpvalve :-)

Img_0015.jpg

Interior shots.

Img_0051.jpg

I've tried to keep the gauges discreet and OE looking. Top right we have EGT in the clocks, top middle we have fuel pressure, middle we have a custom made display that display's the ECU's data stream, and then at the bottom we have oil pressure and boost guages. I wanted an analogue boost gauge with peak recall as it's easier to read than a digital display, so I went with the SPA stepper motor guage, which is brilliant!

Img_0048.jpg

A closer view of that display. I can switch through many pages of data and read everything from manifold pressure, air and water temp, voltage, injector duty, idle valve duty, cold start enrichment, compensations, wideband, you name it! :-)

Img_00492.jpg

Mine wouldn't work on your Emerald mate but it could probably be fudged to work on it!

It was made, from scratch, by a very clever chap on the DTA forum. He made a few of them for people but he's moved onto Pectel SQ6 Management now and doesn't really get involved with the DTA stuff any more.

Have a word with Mr Walker's electronic's whizz. Does the K3 have a CAN line? The display reads the ECU's data stream. All standalones tend to have that so that they can run Digital dashboards etc.

Mine also allows connection to the laptop via an inbuilt USB driver etc, so I don't need to unplug it and swap leads etc etc. Pretty neat :-)

And yes, all the info you could ever need a flick of a switch away is very, very handy indeed!

Sure thing mate and thanks for the interest :-)

The motor. I'm hoping to tidy a lot of this up this year with Drive By Wire and a new turbo with built in wastegate and dumpvalve :-)

Img_0015.jpg

A closer view of that display. I can switch through many pages of data and read everything from manifold pressure' date=' air and water temp, voltage, injector duty, idle valve duty, cold start enrichment, compensations, wideband, you name it! :-)

[img']http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x2/kevhaywire/Forum%20Gallery/Img_00492.jpg

most interesting car on here for me mate :)

love that display mate that's really lovely and as you say the gauges do look very OEM you can tell a lot of time and thought has gone into this on every aspect :) pllleeeaasssseee come to some shows and stick your car on the vr6oc stand this year fella ??

some engine bay inspiration for you :)

1295002989_5463_FT139931_1294509317_5463_ft407427_55618697_.jpg

Wow, that is super clean! Not very practical with no wipers though, LOL! That's the only problem with daily drivers. You need boring things like indicators and wipers etc :-)

Yeah I do need to get myself to some shows really! The paint lets it down though. Those shots are quite flattering tbh, it's not that good close up, LOL! After the prang I had last november, the paint no longer matches and I wouldn't feel comfortable being on a show stand with iffy paint!

When / Where is the VR6OC show this year?

Ahh dont be daft!! Its one extreme to the other with us lot, some cars are pretty mint but others arent, as long as its a vr it doesnt matter, would just be nice to have you along!! :) :)

The National show isnt booked yet but is usually August time at Billing Aquadrome, but not sure what the plan is for this year yet.

You should do inters, its a great weekend show, great atmosphere, 1/4 mile strip and plenty of laughs!

Mine wouldn't work on your Emerald mate but it could probably be fudged to work on it!

It was made' date=' from scratch, by a very clever chap on the DTA forum. He made a few of them for people but he's moved onto Pectel SQ6 Management now and doesn't really get involved with the DTA stuff any more.

Have a word with Mr Walker's electronic's whizz. Does the K3 have a CAN line? The display reads the ECU's data stream. All standalones tend to have that so that they can run Digital dashboards etc.

Mine also allows connection to the laptop via an inbuilt USB driver etc, so I don't need to unplug it and swap leads etc etc. Pretty neat :-)

And yes, all the info you could ever need a flick of a switch away is very, very handy indeed!

[/quote']

Yeah i'm pretty sure it does, because in the manual it says something about connecting to a dash. Food for thought though.

I'm not too bothered about the extra usb lead i have, works atm!

Wow' date=' that is super clean! Not very practical with no wipers though, LOL! That's the only problem with daily drivers. You need boring things like indicators and wipers etc :-)

Yeah I do need to get myself to some shows really! The paint lets it down though. Those shots are quite flattering tbh, it's not that good close up, LOL! After the prang I had last november, the paint no longer matches and I wouldn't feel comfortable being on a show stand with iffy paint!

[/quote']

yeah true mate ! but the setup from the visible outside I thought was quite similar to yours :)

as Nat says dont worry about it mate - the stands are for vr owners not show queens :) your car is more than worthy of being on one :) plus like most of the other boost junkies Tony, Jake, Craig, Jim etc they spend more time up and down the 1/4 mile than sitting on the stand :)

Cool, I can join any convoys along the A12!

I'm always bombing around Colchester, Ipswich etc, I'm surprised I haven't bumped into any of you on the roads yet! Keep your eyes out for a purpley / Grey Corrado not exactly sticking to the speed limits, LOL! :-)

I'll give the camping some thought, not really a fan of tents and camping if I'm honest!

I work in braintree but am often over colchester way etc. we normally meet at the end of the a120 at braintree n go up to the m11 and meet some more there. :) its a good drive.

And camping is great!! just get a nice airbed n its all good, plus after a few beers it doesnt matter where you crash!! lol. Its just good to be able to kick back n have a beer n a relax without having to worry about going home :)