DIY turbo guide

Nice one Kev, glad its all coming together. This is the 3.0 built engine your running now?

Hopefully with that turbo you shouldnt find traction to be too much of a problem, as the boost should be coming in nice and progressivly.

Get some pics up!

Re. the manifold, I've fitted loads of these and sold more, and not had that problem before. I would have appreciated you contacting me first and I could have swapped it for another.

Tom.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started my turbo install this week, during the evenings. Turbos are starting to become more popular now, especially as the dollar is so weak at the moment. It would be rude not to capitalise on tha

you should be able to get 4" all the way, thats how its is on mine, but then that how markies done his 4" down to 3" back up

liking the look of this thread. im not realy a mechanic but have a technical background do believe i would be able to carry the fitment of a turbo myself??

Cheers Tom. Yeah it's the 3.0. Vince said it's not quite as punchy initially as the 2.9 as the turbo is having to fill a 106cc bigger hole and it's still tight, but once it's fully loosened up and I fit a more restrictive throttle for the short intake, I should get some urgency back in the lower rpms again, but yeah, it's very progressive. The torque curve is like table top mountain :-)

Sorry about broadcasting the manifold prob, I figured a few of us are using them and wanted them to check it first to avoid the issue I had. I guessed they're all the same so didn't mention it to you first, but it's sortable without the need to replace it. No offense intended, it's a great manifold and Stealth commmented on it's robustness and ability to expel waste gases compared to a lot of lesser ones they've seen in their time.

How about this for some marshmallow toasting ability?

glowing.jpg

Time to get the jacket back on I guess, but I keep hearing tales of GT housings cracking when using them. Have you heard of this?

Congrats Kev, sounds like it will be very good when run in :)

Now thats a seriously warm wastgate pipe :)

I've heard of quite a few GT's cracking, they never seem to cause a problem tho, even once their cracked :o

Doesn't appear to be a problem on the RS's tho so you should be fine anyway.

How are you getting on with the inovate LC1???? I'm about to buy one or the Zietronix (with the new guage hopefully).

LC-1 Wideband proving to be unreliable. We mapped it with a known accurate MoTec wideband because the LC-1 was all over the place, for instance the LED array was full lean, but at idle, the readout was 9!!! I think it's a faulty one but Stealth have seen this before on another one when trying to map an R32.

So I'm now investigating a proper Wideband kit, but not the MoTec as it's £800!!!

LOL, no the turbo cools down very quickly. That glowing occurred because we put loads of preload into the dyno and kept it boosting whilst doing the midrange mapping. It won't do that so often on the road as you have the airflow under the car to draw some heat away.

I read mixed reports on GT reliability but at the end of the day it's basic physics and Garrett cycle the turbo through hot and cold runs FAR FAR more stressful than we're every likely to put it through, so as end users on crowded UK roads, we're unlikely to break one unless we're complete numpties with zero mechanical sympathy ;-)

Anyone got any recommendations for a quiet 2.5" exhaust system? That's the next step for me....

Have heard people having problems with the probes, ie needing to replace them frequently :-(

Which really isn't what i'm after coz i want to run a guage permanantly and these people i hear that seem to have problems only use them to set cars up :o :-(

I've heard that the AEM one is supposed to be quite good, reasonable money too.

As for exhaust i would get one made and would be 3".

Mine was made by hayward and scott and is superb quality and not too far from you either - http://www.haywardandscott.co.uk/

What are your compressor inlet and outlet sizes??? 2.5" and 3"???

Yeah strange as it's a decent Bosch LSU 4.25 probe and they're normally good for 100K, according to Bosch themselves. I suspect the people that are failing them quickly either have them too close to the turbo or are getting wet somehow. Thank god Vince had a decent Wideband otherwise we would have been stuffed mapping the DTA.

Yeah AEM was a brand mentioned to me too, so that's encouraging. I will double check my install of the LC-1/XD16 though as it's nice kit.

Yeah I spoke to Hayward and Scott and seemed to welcome the challenge. Not sure I'd go 3" though, but rather 2.5" as a happy medium. I might give them a try then as they're local as you say. How long did they need the car for?

Compressor inlet on mine is 4" and outlet is 2" 0.50 A/R, and the 0.86 turbine A/R has a 3" Vband out.

Yeah, tight over the rear axle!

Few updates...

3.0 in, but obviously doesn't look any different to the 2.9, LOL! There are few changes to spot though....

TIAL 50.5mm BOV replaces 25mm Forge Motorsport one.

New custom made oil line rerouted to avoid another fire!

BMC in place of K&N filter

BEGI FRP gone and replaced with SX 1:1 fuel riser

MAF deleted

440cc genesis injectors in

Turbosmart boost control valve in and locked to 11psi

I'm sure it'll change many times over but for now, it's like this....messy, but functional ;-)

Engine_bay.jpg

DTA tucked up in the Glovebox. Currently tuned at a really basic level, not even running lambda. Need to start getting my money's worth out of this box and use some of it's tricks.

DTA_glovebox.jpg

And this mod I rather like......Dynotune EGT display installed under disused portion of the rev counter. I haven't run the car for over a week, so I'm not sure how accurate it is, but the ambient temp of 6 degrees is spot on, so looks encouraging....

EGT_display.jpg

When does it ever end?! Worth it though.....well worth it.....seeing the look on Evo 6 drivers' faces :-)

Lookin good mate.

3" is tight over the rear beam, but if its built right will cause no problem, and the gains are supposed to be well worth the hastle.

EGT doesn't have to be accurate as it will change from position to position. Its not the numbers that count, its sudden rises ;)

Is your MFA still working????

Tial BOV looks the nuts fella (h)

Yeah cheers Millsy mate, I am defo considering popping down to Hayward & Scott..... Hayward is my surname, so that's got to be a good omen? :-)

The exhaust is my next step, so I'll discuss noise levels and clearance etc with them.

Cheers on the EGT advice, I'll keep an eye out for sudden temp changes!

Yep, MFA still fully functional except MPG, which is 99.9mpg as there's no VW ECU to give it duty cycle info, LOL!

Yeah the TIAL sounds evil mate, really shifts that air, scares the living daylights out of pedestrians :-)

• 2 weeks later...

My experience is basically just playing around with various VWs for 10+ years!

Running 11psi at the moment. Don't want to over stretch the new engine.

Expected power - Well it's at 350ish now, which will do me for a while. The turbo is 450hp capable, should I want to wind the wick up a bit in the future.

Ah yeah, got the LC-1 / XD16 working properly now. Not sure what was wrong with it originally but I rewired it to the other side of the car in desperation and it seemed to right itself. Seems pretty good. Never goes richer than 12.5 on wide open, which is what we saw with Vince's motec aswell, so it can't be far off :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

30V? You mean 24V ;-)

Being as your from the US of A, your best bets by far are EIP tuning or Schimmel Performance. Both have the required experience of turboing the 24V motor.....although my preference is Bill Shcimmel as his turbo experience is well worth paying for.

what sort of psi are you gonna be able to run? seen one running about half a bar but was running on standard fuelling system. i will be very interested to see the outcome as i have been a bit of a turbo man for a few years now but never on a car with a decent amount of cubes. :-p

I was running 8 psi on the standard management too, worked really well actually!

Currently I'm on 11psi but the sky's the limit really if you build the engine and trans to take it. Bill Schimmel in the states runs 40psi of boost on some of his engines...I think that equates to about 850 [American!]whp.

He's done or two 1000hp VR6 engines too, but for the drag strip. That would be totally useless on the road as you'd need huge slicks to get the power down and solid rear suspension....so not really wise for the road :-)

• 2 weeks later...