Can anyone help with this problem? My beast is loosing water through the top of my expansion tank, i've changed the tank and the cap but it's still no good. The previous owner only had water running through the system i was wondering if the fact that there's no antifreeze in the system is causing the problem?? Temperature gauge does not move so doubt that it's head gasket!! Mail me if you have had the same problem.

If you're losing water and no obvious leaks then that is possibly(unfortunately) a sign of a fault head gasket... Or it could possibly be a temperamental water pump (which may need replacing) best bet is to ring Stealth or The Phirm and see what they say.

Might also be a blockage if its coming out the tank. Does it kick more out when you rev it and then drop to a lower level as revs drop??

Might be worth popping a flush through and draining the system. Only problem is.... if the blocks hiding a leak...... Either way its something of the list

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

A pressurised system can be either a head gasket or an air lock. For the head gasket i would run the car from cold with the expansion cap off and as the car warms up, the water exspands filling the tank up to the top. a quick 10 to 20 second blip on the throttle at high revs would in the case of a serious Gasket leak send water spewing over the top and on some cars iv seen it gush up in the air. Another trick is to take it to a garage with a old style exhaust emissions tester ie a small crypton type tester with a sniffer pipe and place the snifer pipe in the expansion tank. If the reading on the co2 and hcc goes sky high this also indicates a blown gasket. As for air locks i can only suggest bleeding the system via bleed screws or by removing cooling pipes at the highest point on the engine. Dont be dicouraged i often work part time in my friends garage and iv seen air locks that have taken a hour to remove.