whats the best suspension set up on a mk3 golf vr6

I've got the GMAX kit on mine. The kit uses gas shocks as opposed to oil based ones so last longer, and have a full three year guarantee. The Phirm fitted mine and they said in 5 years that they have been supplying and fitting them they have not had one single problem..touch wood. This spring/shock kit cost £200 plus fitting so one of the cheapest...but one of the most over looked due to its low cost. Highly rated on here. My car is a daily driver so suits me fine as I don't do track days. Lowers the car approx 40-45 mm...just perfect looks wise and handling is amazing going round corners. Still retains stock comfort but slightly firmer as you would expect giving you better control. If you have more money and like to do track days then you can spend a lot of money on suspension set ups... but anything is better than the wallowy stock suspension.

Your all forgetting something.

ARB's make a huge difference, ideal budget solution is eibach and koni setup with Eibach or Neuspeed ARB's.

If you've got money to burn I can reccomend the konigsports and neuspeed ARB's. Mine handles like a dream with this setup.

• 3 months later...

so whats the concensus on the best bang for the buck on a mk3? im trying to keep my car to a budget although i know suspension will make or break the handling.. what do people recomend for less than £300 as best performance wise? the car may make it to the nurburgring at some point:)

Everyone has good things to say about the sets listed previously.

On that budget I would go for the Koni kit 220 bucks ish! You wont get the arb for that tho - you need another 200 for the arb set. Koni is a good brand and has a good reputation.

good luck and there is a fitting guide in premium members section should you need it

so whats the concensus on the best bang for the buck on a mk3? im trying to keep my car to a budget although i know suspension will make or break the handling.. what do people recomend for less than £300 as best performance wise? the car may make it to the nurburgring at some point:)

As with most things you get what you pay for! You can achieve a good setup on a budget but if your looking at nurburgring trips i would recommend spending more of a cars budget on suspension than anything else. KW or H&R suspensions are two of the best in the business, check out all the racing series in germany so many people use them... but theyre not cheap. I had a £300 set of konis on my vr for 3 years and was happy with them, then went around the ring in some KW and H&R setup golfs which blew me away, i now have KW suspension and H&R antiroll bars and cant fault them.

(WKD928 were u at the nurburgring in that 928 in july?)

• 3 weeks later...

Well im changing my stock suspension this month and have decided to go for Koni top mount adjustable kit as id rather be able to adjust the ride quality than be stuck with it too hard or soft! I was orginally thinking of Gmax but ive been in a few koni goldfs now and am very impressed!

• 10 years later...