oil additives and petrol cleaners??

I was reading through my golf instruction booklet this lunch time, (i was bored, and it was raining), it says not to add oil additives to your engine, does this include STP oil treatment? if not does it work and has anyone tried it on there engine? Also the other products from STP, like petrol treatment and valve cleaners etc, do they work? and one had any experience's with them? thanks

Keep it simple mate and just use optimax from shell.It costs me an extra £4 to fill up but on my computer i get an extra 3mpg so it works out the same and on a slightly older engine the octane will help a bit and it will clean all the right bits too

ian

It's not the octane that helps it's the additives in the fuel itself.

Optimax has quite a few additives, and some of them help boost the octane level. The combination of higher octane and additives helps the fuel burn a bit cleaner, and may improve efficiancy slightly.

All petrols have additives which are there to help keep the engine clean and the fuel burning cleanly.

General advice is to run predominantly on one fuel for a few thousnad miles and then switch to a different brand. The use of one particular fuel will maximise the benefits of the additives in that fuel.

By switching to a different brand you will switch additives and help to gradually clean out 'varnish' from your previous fuel. The varnish builds up becasue no blend of additives is perfect.

Don't use oil additive. Oil contains additives anyway. Just get decent oil in the first place. If it's smoking get the engine fixed!

I once used Redex on an old Fiesta I had and that seemed to help, but that was the full Redex 'plugs out, pour it in the carb' treatment. Not something I would ever consider doing to a nice smooth V6.

Higher octane fuel is worth the extra £££, simply becasue that's what the manual says you should use. If you put lower octane fuel in it you may see less mpg, but the ECU should have enough brains to retard the timing slightly and avoid any pinking (which could lead to internal overheating & damage)

ive read some where that using products like slick 50 and STP do your engine no good at all, Briggs and Stratton the biggest engine manufacturer in the world tested these additives and the engine with no additives just your run of the mill oil lasted 20% longer on the test bed before failing compared to one that was running with em, they're study showed that your oil filter will remove around 95% of these additives out of your oil. money for old rope anyone???? i swear by a really good quality oil changed every 5k. jobs a goodun. :-p