Planning to put 2-way 10cm Alpines in the Dash... any thoughts?

The tweeters in my dash have gone, looks like the capacitors from testing. I'm keen to start upgrading the ICE bit by bit and am planning to put some Alpine SXE-1025S in the dash. I realise I'll need to modify the frame.

So... Any thoughts on this? Any reason that putting just tweeters would be preferable?

Cheers!

The tweeters in my dash have gone, looks like the capacitors from testing. I'm keen to start upgrading the ICE bit by bit and am planning to put some Alpine SXE-1025S in the dash. I realise I'll need to modify the frame.

So... Any thoughts on this? Any reason that putting just tweeters would be preferable?

Cheers!

I think this is quite a popular upgrade and not a problem if using components in the front doors as you can then mount a tweeter from them quite high up on the a pillar to give better sound. Consider the 10cm as filling the gap musically between mid bass and tweeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks, I'd rather not mount separate tweeters, so was hoping the tweeters in the Alpine units might be better (and possibly have better crossovers) than the stock VW / Blaupunkt ones. Is that likely?

After this the next mod was going to put some bass/mid 16.5cm units in the doors, and work back from there. I could put co-axials in the doors too, but assumed all the top would be lost in the footwells. hmm..

I'm kind of trying to go the 6x9s under shelf, sub in boot, massive outlay, butchered car. That's what I used to do when I was 18... man... butchered Fiesta's. :) - those were the days... "lets rip the whole dash out to put these crossovers in... and who needs a parcel shelf that can be lifted my mere mortals anyway.. woo!"

Oh yeah, there's nothing like a butchered fez! I should think any aftermarket speakers will be better than oem unless you're talking Bose etc. Perhaps you could keep a look out for a stealth parcel shelf like I did or check those parcel shelf supports out that calico has got, they'd do the job perfect! I'm not sure if you'd get enough top end with just the dash speakers doing all the work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woah CALICO I didn't even know those existed. Nice. I guess they're rare as rocking hen's teeth? 

I've just realised that IF I try and fit 3-ways in the dash, and 1, 2 or 3 ways in the doors, I'm gonna hit impedance and power issues. So.... actually the general advice floating around to 'stick components in, bass/mid in door, tweeter in dash' seems to be the easiest unless I want to start having several amps dotted around the car. Which the 18yr old in my head does... but the 36 year old can't be bothered with :) 

Thanks for the input thus far!

• 1 month later...