4motion misfire, disappears when restarted?

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience of these symptoms before and found the solution?

A bit of history - I bought a 4motion Golf a few months ago to see what they are like, the power and handling are awesome! I noticed it had a slight misfire so I put the fault reader on and it confirmed cylinders 1 and 5. I started with the cheapest option first and fitted a new set of platinum plugs. Exactly the same. Same misfire, same cylinders. My next thought was that it would probably be the coilpack. Its the 2001 AUE so its the single block "wasted spark" coilpack. This is where it gets strange....

I got an emergency call to help a friend a few nights ago and on a "spirited" drive to go help the car suddenly sounded like a lawnmower. Shaking and holding back. My thought was that the coil pack had given up and I had lost a load of cylinders. I limped it home and put the code reader on it again, sure enough, misfires on 1,5,6 and 3 and a load of CO2 and related errors. I posted a question on the mk4 owners facebook page and someone suggested unplugging the MAF. I went outside and tried the car first the confirm the fault still existed, but no, back to the slight misfire? I unplugged the MAF anyway, no change.

Next morning I drove to work and the problem didn't not appear. Again, on the way home, just the slight misfire I knew.

A few days later I was teaching an Audi the error of his ways and the problem re-appeared. I limped along for miles and a thought occured to me, does it need cooling down, or is it turning the engine off that fixed it. I pulled over and turn the engine off, waited about 30 seconds then restarted the car, presto! Back to the slight misfire!

Any ideas? My thoughts are its still the coilpack and once I strain it hard enough, some electronics are tripping over themselves and can't recover until I shut the power off. Maybe something is giving a signal that is 'off the map' and the car can't sort itself out again, until I restart it?

Thanks in advance!