Mass air flow mesh... 4" MAF question

Today I've made my own stainless 4" MAF housing, it fits just the element bit obviously, and made so the elements sit exactly in the middle of the pipe.

I was wondering if I would need a mesh like the standard one does (just the one end) to take out the turbulence in the air? I'd be putting an air filter directly onto the end of the MAF, and wondered if I should put anything there. Never seen Stealth's version or any others 1st hand so don't know if they use them or not.

Thanks

Joe

Ok thanks for the info. the placement will be roughly 20 inches or more away from the turbine,

i'll be coming off from turbo with a 45 degree elbow then i'm going to make a 4 inch t-piece for the re-circ valve , then bend the intake pipe with air flow meter on the end so it'll be as close to behind the light as possible. i'm trying to make it so there won't be any sharp bends or kinks.

Good good. that should be ok then.

i was going to run a 90 degree reducer straight off the turbo before this, into 3 inch pipe and use standard maf. i've already made the dump valve t-piece with oil breather and idle control spout but that's 3 inch so no use now! anyway after reading about accuracy of standard maf with boost i thought i'd play it safe.

I would just say that when I removed the mesh from my OBD2 MAF I kept getting a MAF code (short to B+, intermittent) when I was, er, enthusiatic with the throttle. This never happened to my OBD1 cars.

This was a normally-aspirated engine, with a decent amount of pipe before the MAF opening from my BMC CDA.

Not sure whether the code caused any running problems (didn't notice any) but to an anal-retentive like me DTCs are a problem...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...