hello everyone

i have a 1995 golf mk3 gti, i know its not a vr but i didnt know ware else to go lol

the car starts up but sputters for a couple of seconds then dies,

iv checked the fuel filter and it was clear, i then removed the fuel hose and turned the ignition on and sometimes fuel comes out and even then its only a little bit then other times nothing happens,

should the fuel pump run with just the ignition on or does the engine need to be running for the fuel pump to be running constantly.

am i looking at the right area or could it be something else???

please help me lol

I know its stupid, but have you actually got fuel in the tank? :-)

This should be the same for most cars;

The fuel pump should prime for 3 seconds every time the ignition is switched on, then run run constantly when the engine is running.

• 2 weeks later...

hello everybody thanks for all your advice and help!! the car is still spluttering and will only kepp goin if you are over 2000 revs and has really bad petrol smell i have changed the air flow censor and a couple of split pipes but nothing! i have had a mechanic out he said its not the throttle body or feul valves but i am not convinced

can anybody please help me with this as it is really starting to get to me and plus i have sum1 who wants to swap for a vr :-)