HELP, acceleration hesitation problem

I have just forked out a fortune to fix the immediate problem of a stuck open injector. This is OK now but the car (OBD1) still has an intermitant problem of a dead spot at the bottom end of the rev range.

It still ticks over OK but when I accelerate the first 1000-2000 revs, the car hesitates then pulls. It does the same if I decellerate the accelerate again. It pauses then picks up.

Any ideas guys??

It really pi"£$%"es me off!!

What about throttle body and MAF could it be either of those also??

certainly possible...

to check the coil pack either run the engine at night and look under the bonnet for arcing, or check whether all the plugs are sparking...

do u have a later type coilpack or a dizzy???

My coilpack was buggered but no test I could find showed up the problem. Symptoms were exactly as you described. However, pack never got hot, showed no sign of arcing, had no visible cracks and measured fine compared to the values in the bentley manual.

Eventually I replaced it out of desperation and hey presto, no more hesitation. Basically what I'm saying is that it is very difficult to test the coil pack and you'd be better replacing that than the MAF as the MAF does tend to be less prone to failure.

If you want to rule out the MAF, give it a clean. It might not fix it but it should reduce the problem a little if the MAF is the item at fault. If no change, replace the coilpack.

ip

My coilpack was arcing big time as some seen at the last national meet we had....could see and here it happening in daylight.

So I took it off and it had grease and allsorts on it, so i got some wet wipes and cleaned it off and hey presto is running fine and has been since august

I have the same prob at the moment got told to unplug the air filter sensor and has cleared the problem,is this going to have any problematic side effects as m due to drive up to scotland ?

was also thinking of putting so red x in and maybe changing the plugs is this going to be worth it??