golf vr6 vrs corrado vr6

Hi all, i was just hoping that somebody could give me some advise please. I currently own a golf vr6 but am thinking about selling it and buying a corrado vr6. I was hoping one of you would have made this swap and could share your experiances with me, what are they like handling wise compared to golf? speed wise and finaly ecomany. thanks inadvance.

Mate, I have not owned a VR6 Golf (although have owned a Golf), and wouldn't want to say much against them, as most of the guys on here have got them. But just bear in mind a couple of things:

1. Corrado VR6 - 2.9L 190 bhp as standard.

Golf VR6 - 2.8L 174 bhp as standard. (factory figures)

2. Evo magazine, and others have described the Corrado VR6 as one of the greatest front wheel drive cars of all time. Top Gear have rated it in their Greatest 100 cars of all time (at 67th IIRC).

I love my Corrado. The handling is epic...ok so I've done a few mods, but so have many people. The Corrado is also more exclusive - there are fewer around in any form. I am bound to be biased, but all I can say is go and get a test drive or a passenger ride in one and you'll see what I mean.

Surely no one buys a VR6 then worries about its drinking problem...but since you ask, I can achieve 34 mpg on the motorway at 70-75 mph.

HTH

• 1 month later...

Were the later obd2 golf models also 190bhp??

I haven't made the swap but have a golf vr6 and have driven a corrado vr6 and i'd say the rado does handle a bit better IMO but performance wise i didn't think there was a lot in it. The rado looks better both inside and out. I'd say keep the golf and get a 'rado :) Strip the golf and use it for the track and keep the rado sweet and tidy for the road!.....damn gotta stop havin these thoughts before the hole in my wallet gets even bigger! lol :)

I made the swap in late 2003 and havent regretted it, except i went from a Corrado to a Golf, and i would never have another Corrado!! The build quality doesnt exist, no room inside,model specific trim parts cost the earth and to be honest IMO they are HUGELY overrated!!

I have ran two Golf VR6s since the Corrado VR6 and have had less problems with both cars in almost 4 years than i did with the Corrado in 8 months.

Dynamically the Corrado may have the edge over the Golf but lets face it there are very few totally standard examples of either cars left and a well set up Golf will match a well set up Corrado!!

The other thing to bear in mind BHP wise is the later OBD2 Golfs generally produce the same power figures as a Corrado

• 2 weeks later...

Which one do you prefer the look of mate? As people have said, there isnt really "that" much in it. Personally, I dont like MK3's so that is my answer, its all down to personal taste. Also the Corrado has already been classed as a future classic by Top Gear and the likes.

Pop over to www.the-corrado.net to see some of the cars on there. You will also find some nice standard examples, but you have to expect to pay a slight premium on those.

Try and get a test drive in one of each, and see what you think. Either way, they both sound great 8)

The build quality doesnt exist' date=' no room inside,model specific trim parts cost the earth and to be honest IMO they are HUGELY overrated!! [/quote']

Partly true. Trim parts are indeed pricey and some are now obsolete aswell. Build quality doesn't exist....The Corrado parts are obviously made by VW, but they are hand assembled by Karmann, so you don't get the robot made consistency that you get with the Golf. It's unfair to say the quality doesn't exist though. Get in a MK2 Golf and then back to the Corrado and repeat that statement....and likewise, I've been in abused and thrashed MK3s that make a Corrado seem as strong as a Bentley in comparison....and that is the crux of it.....owner treatment.

Also, I've seen more rusty MK3s than I have Corrados aswell.....but that could just be down to the sheer number of Golfs in comparison.

I have ran two Golf VR6s since the Corrado VR6 and have had less problems with both cars in almost 4 years than i did with the Corrado in 8 months.

That is true in a lot of cases....of abused examples. Not had any trouble from my Corrado in 4 years that wasn't self inflicted by my modding. Prior to that it never missed a beat as a standard car.

Dynamically the Corrado may have the edge over the Golf but lets face it there are very few totally standard examples of either cars left and a well set up Golf will match a well set up Corrado!!

To a degree. Yes you can mirror the Corrado's geometry settings' date=' but it's lower to the ground physically (regardless of suspension height), so centre of G is a lot lower than the Golf's.

The other thing to bear in mind BHP wise is the later OBD2 Golfs generally produce the same power figures as a Corrado

Yep, OBD2 2.8 is the pick of the VR engine crop imo. It's a peachy motor. I don't like the 2.9 at all in standard guise.... that is the bit about Corrados that is over rated.

Don't forget the Corrado is heavier than the Golf, but it's a lot sleeker through the air, so wil win the top speed competitions!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

lots of bitching goin on buy what you like drive what you like and everyone is happy

bitching ? its more of a genral observation tbh, which brings up good/bad points of both cars.

ive never drive the golf so cant comment,i bought the c simply because im not keen on the mk3 shape,and i couldnt find a mk2 at the time.

somebody mentioned interior build quality how many golfs with broken glove box s have you seen? i have seen loads , how many rusty mk3s have you seen ? a lot ,doors and sills mainly , corrado looks great a golf is a golf i would only ever consider a mk1 or mk2 golf no higher i like older cars what can you do they have more soul :-d

sorry to mk3 + golf owners its just an opinion and some facts i said all cars not just the ones being scrutineered have good and bad points and i find all newer cars are more thrown together than there older family members these day and thats all marques

As previously stated its what you prefer, no-one goes down the street in exactly the same clothes as someone else, point being its about taste, and what you want from a car. Ive only sat in golf VR6 and even the height of the seat was different (golf a bit higher) . Nobody can knock anyones taste in cars, its just that if i didnt have my Corrado then i would buy another Corrado i wouldnt have a golf VR6 simply because VW made the Corrado. Put simply the golf boys would say get a golf and vice versa, ive never driven another car as good as a corrado, which simply means it suits me...........so do some research have a test of both (if you can) then make a decision..............Focker-out seems like he had a bad car but that doesnt mean Corrados are bad...................... :-p

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I can happily say, Ive had a MK3 VR6 Highline, built 2 mk2 VR6's and now own a MK2 VR and Corrado VR! Out of the lot, the mk2 obviously wins the handling and speed stakes, but then ive put a lot of money into the chassis. The corrado is in currently standard flavour, and to be honest, it handles incredibly well! I can put a lot more through the 'rad around the twisties than I ever could in the MK3. The build isnt quite as good inside as the mk3, but the bodies on them are 10x better than the golf IMO. Not only is the shape better, but the rustproofing and general feel is a lot better. Where my old mk3 is now starting to rust, there isnt a single scab on the corrado, and its two years senior to the golf.

• 2 months later...

My personal opinion shouts rado... but as many ppl have said, it's really down to taste...

what do you prefer...

i think somone said that it's not really about the performance but the looks... the rado has it in that area...

My rado is all stock (cept a K&N filter) and well looked after and i wouldn't trade it in for anything!

• 7 months later...

ive driven a rado vr6 and own a golf vr6 and personally prefer the golf. the build quality isnt the same as the golf and performance wise isnt that different at all. standard the rado would out handle the golf to a certain extent due to the poor spring choice by VW on the golf (my opinion).

but spend some pennys on both cars suspension, and you have a great match!!

i think personnally its down to looks, and i cant fault either cars looks.

as long as its a vr6, your doin the right thing!

• 4 months later...

I've had a 1997 Golf3 VR Highline for just over a year and my son got a Corrado VR6 in March. Both have unmodified, standard suspension. Both have standard 15s with Proxy T1-Rs. So quite a good comparison.

They feel about the same acceleration wise but the Corrado keeps going better at the top end because it is more aerodynamic.

However, I am astonished at how much better his Corrado handles than my Golf. You can absolutely CANE it round corners, the turn-in is immense. To the extent that he gets the rear tires to make a little squeal. The centre of gravity is way lower than the Golf and it shows in the handling. I've also driven a standard Corrado 1.8 16v and that handled brilliantly as well.Really flat, wicked turn-in.

The C interior is clearly from a previous generation design and quality wise - the Golf wins hands down. The Golf is more comfortable as daily driver and more practical.

Down side with the Corrado OBD1 compared with the Golf OBD2 is that they suffer all sorts of little niggles - poor starting, variable idling, fans not working as they should, large (scary) variations in water and oil temp - once these are sorted they are OK though.

The Corrado now has a green cotton air filter and 2 box Jetex exhaust - it now seems quicker than the Golf only because of the awesome (fabulous) noise the VR makes with these on it at full chat!!

I've no doubt that one could get the handling of the Golf up to the level of the Corrado by spending £1,500 or so sorting the suspension and ARBs.

I now want to sell my Golf and get a Corrado!

I've had a 1997 Golf3 VR Highline for just over a year and my son got a Corrado VR6 in March. Both have unmodified' date=' standard suspension. Both have standard 15s with Proxy T1-Rs. So quite a good comparison.

They feel about the same acceleration wise but the Corrado keeps going better at the top end because it is more aerodynamic.

However, I am astonished at how much better his Corrado handles than my Golf. You can absolutely CANE it round corners, the turn-in is immense. To the extent that he gets the rear tires to make a little squeal. The centre of gravity is way lower than the Golf and it shows in the handling. I've also driven a standard Corrado 1.8 16v and that handled brilliantly as well.Really flat, wicked turn-in.

The C interior is clearly from a previous generation design and quality wise - the Golf wins hands down. The Golf is more comfortable as daily driver and more practical.

Down side with the Corrado OBD1 compared with the Golf OBD2 is that they suffer all sorts of little niggles - poor starting, variable idling, fans not working as they should, large (scary) variations in water and oil temp - once these are sorted they are OK though.

The Corrado now has a green cotton air filter and 2 box Jetex exhaust - it now seems quicker than the Golf only because of the awesome (fabulous) noise the VR makes with these on it at full chat!!

I've no doubt that one could get the handling of the Golf up to the level of the Corrado by spending £1,500 or so sorting the suspension and ARBs.

I now want to sell my Golf and get a Corrado!

[/quote']

Some very good points there. If the build quality of the corrado was as good as the golf there would be no comparrison imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned 3 Golf VR's and now run a Corrado VR6, and I have to say for pure grin factor and driving pleasure, the Corrado has the edge. What you need to bear in mind with regards to the build quality of the rado compared to golf, is that early rados were based on mk2 golfs so wouldnt necessarily but up to scratch against a mk3, but mine is a later one, rotary heater controls intead of sliders etc. Ok it looks a little more dated on the dash but not by much, and my car is an OBD2 2.9 so none of those OBD1 issues. One thing I have noticed is that mk3's always seem to require welding of some sort, even the P reg that I had, but my L reg Corrado is completely solid.

The Corrado is definately better to drive, the seating position, the low stance, the super sharp turn in.

But even with all this in mind, I do still like mk3's, but the sleek look, the exclusivity, and the slightly better drive of the Corrado means I will probably always choose the rado over a Golf

• 1 month later...

I've now had a Golf Mk3 and a Golf Mk2 VR6.

I'm now about to make the jump to a Corrado.

if the handing of my mk2 VR6 is anything to go by, the Corrado will be EPIC.

when I wrote off my mk3 golf, I had no feed back that the backend was gonna go, was all over before I realised...

The mk2 gave alot of feedback, hoping the corrado will be the same.

looking to convert to OBD2 also to iron out those problems suffered by OBD1's (idling etc...)

Pete

i was originaly going to get a golf vr6 and test drove a few, then i saw a raddo up for sale so went and took it for a test drive as i love them, but being honest just couldnt afford one, as soon as i got it on the road i knew it was the car for me and i had to have one, so i waited, and saved more pennys and now have my raddo, which i love, handeling in my opinion is so much better than the golf, and i like that its not so common.

go test drive a raddo and see how it feels, in my opinion only then can you decide.

• 1 year later...

sticking my nose in here. fairly new to the vr scene but ive had 3 vr6's this year already. 1 rado, two golfs. all of which have been the wrong purchase for a number of reasons. partly due to me not checking a few things and some underlying issues. i would say the 2.8 is better than the 2.9 rado lump. my latest golf vr seems just as quick as the rado did. if not a little quicker. and the build quality is negligable. both have there faults... mainly rust. as ive dealt with it on all the vrs ive had so far. id say it was a matter of taste. both cars are comfortable to drive. but both can be driven hard. i think its just a case of what you like the look of and what you prefer sitting in at the end of the day.

• 2 months later...

Having never driven a corrado, if you get an OBD2 vr6 then im guessing its pretty much on par. The corrado probably will have better handing due to the MK2 chassis, but a good coilover set and anti roll bars really can transform the golf.

So weigh up the pros and cons.

Running costs - probably not much in it.

Insurance - Golf group 16 Corrado Group 18.

Practicality - if you need it, buy the golf, if you can live without it buy the corrado.

Specs - The golf has a better spec especially the OBD2 (96 onwards) Best way to tell an OBD2 is by the coil pack and also the round indicators.

And finally - for the money I think you will find better value in the golf than in the corrado.

Either way mate - they are both cracking cars, its up to you what you prefer.

what do you prefer coupe or hatchback?

personally i like the golf

1 theres more space throughout,

2 easier to find parts for,

3 cheaper parts,

4 same performance,

5 cheaper to buy than a corrado,

6 cheaper to insure than a corrado

im sure with the savings of insurance etc you could get a nice set of coilovers,add some decent rubber,

but like everyone says its up to you what you like,good luck whatever you get.